Hotel Status Match

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by HappyJim, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HappyJim

HappyJim Member

Status Points:
    I have lots of single night hotel stays, so it could be fairly easy for me to gain top-level status in HHonors, which is only 28 stays per calendar year. However, Marriott only counts the number of nights per year, and requires 75. So Marriott is harder for me to obtain top-level status.

Is it possible to call Marriott and have them match the Hilton Diamond VIP status and give me their own top-level status. Is that how Hotel Status Matching works? Does anyone have practical experience with this?

Jim

Jett Rink, viguera and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done this in the past (a number of years ago) ... a single year may or may not cut it however ... I faxed to them at that point-in-time, 3 years worth of stays showing how much I traveled.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott offers one time status match challenges upon request, generally based on your current status with other chains and over a relatively short period of time. So for example you might be required to do a dozen nights over a 60-90 day period, during which you enjoy the temporary status benefits as well.

Keep in mind that the general consensus is that this is once per lifetime of the account, and that the clock starts ticking as soon as you accept the conditions of the challenge, so you'd have to get on the ball right away (so don't request it unless you know you have enough stays coming up).

Some people have also reported being offered rather crappy status as a match, so your mileage might vary. There should be a fairly comprehensive thread or three in the Marriott section.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could do a status challenge to Marriott Plat but would need 18 nights in 90 days..

viguera likes this.
  5. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to be argumentative, but I believe that Marriott lets you ask for status matches more than once per lifetime of the account. I seem to remember it being somewhere around a year after your last status match had ended.

Additionally, there have been reports of the Marriott status challenges being based on # of stays (6 stays for gold, 12 for plat, or something like that) so you may be able to go directly for Marriott plat if that's your end goal. And it seems if you have enough stays to get Hilton diamond, should should have enough to get Marriott platinum via a status challenge, not matter if they offer it to you via stays or nights.

viguera likes this.
  6. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a little first hand experience with this (6 days ago). I had previously tried (and failed miserably) a status match from hilton to marriott gold in february. I called the folks at marriott and told them that my personal preference would have been to stay at marriotts, but worked pulled them off the table not long after I accepted the chllenge 2 match.

As a result, they were kind enough to let me reapply and give me until the end of the year to log 6 stays, by tracking me manually.

I was very impressed by their kindness, and hope to be a marriott gold for quite sometime (though at 50 nights, i sure hope they let me "buy it back" in 2014)!

7. kencoa

kencoa Member

Status Points:
    Marriott offers trial program. You have to stay certain # of nights within time frame.