Hotel Santa Teresa- Rio de Janeiro

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by jbcarioca, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that other forum there wer posters who claimed there were no luxury hotels outside of a couple in Zona Sul. That is most certainly untrue. Hotel Santa Teresa is in Santa Teresa, the first suburb of the city and the only 'bairro' that still has working 'bonde' trolley cars. The location is bohemian, loaded with artist studios and small restaurants bars and museums.

The hotel is located in a one time coffee plantation and has ben delightfully restored. It is also a member of Relais & Chateaux.

I have not stayed there but have sent several guests there and have dined there. It has delightful views and superb service.

Hopefully we have other people who have stayed there and can comment directly on hotel services.

http://santa-teresa-hotel.com/en.html

uggboy, Skyvillager and Chimpy like this.
  2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, from the website it does indeed look very luxurious and a nice place to stay. I would not mind being there now instead of being stuck at work.

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you decide to stay that I'll pick you up form GIG and save you the taxi fare. I will be at GIG anyway tomorrow morning and the hotel is only 15 minutes from my house.

uggboy and Skyvillager like this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be careful what you offer. ;) Santa Teresa was great. This place was a bit out of range ($$$ - I know, the luxury thread) but I ate locally on the way up across from a a trolley stop, at a Y in the road. Across the street there was this huge run down-ish mansion type place that was having one hell of a party. Of course we paid our 5 Reals and joined in.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy you enjoyed Santa Teresa. It is full of unexpected things. because it was the first suburb of Centro, there are lots of old mansions and residential complexes, some of which are hotels and restaurants now.

One of them was the long-time home for generations of a family closely allied with Mrs. jbcarioca's family. When the area deteriorated and became less chic all of them eventually moved elsewhere. That happened gradually after the tunnels were built that made Copacabana, Ipanema, Gavea, Jardim Botanico and Leblon accessible. Wealthy people then decamped for those areas.

Santa Teresa had only the skeleton of its former glory. Now these places are being restored and Santa Teresa is becoming delightful again.

uggboy and Bonnie like this.
  6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If and/or when I make it back to Brasil, I'm going back to ST

Cheers

7. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm strongly considering the ST for an upcoming stay. If I do, I'll be sure to take pics and post a stay report here.

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be great. We don't have any fresh reviews.

uggboy likes this.