Hotel Run with Starwood Keyless Registration

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Steven Schwartz, Jul 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just completed registering for their keyless registration. As I understand it, I can do it on my phone and get a code that will open the door to the room, which means it will have been assigned.

Now I would not normally do this - I want to make sure I'm happy with the room/upgrade - but if this is truly registering, seems it would be a good way to do a phantom stay without having to check in. Any thoughts?

Kalboz and canucklehead like this.
  2. cybaslacka

cybaslacka Silver Member

Status Points:
    i read today SPG is giving 1,000 pts for going keyless but it seems to be targeted. does anyone have deets?

canucklehead likes this.
  3. cybaslacka

cybaslacka Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the email and in the email it said "Members are pre-registered for this promotion."
    Hopefully it will be better than the previous Aloft card key, which never worked for me (and led to a few trips to front desk to get a regular key! :confused:)

Currently the properties covered include Alofts, Ws and Elements (but not all under these flags). No properties that I am planning on using in the near future.

Also, I think there may be a glitch as my HTC One was not eligible (it is listed as being supported), but my Nexus 5 was successful.

Supposedly the Apple Watch will also open doors, but it does not list Android Wear. :(

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    System like this would be able to tell if you've actually used the key. Presumably unless they want to encourage this type of behavior, they probably wouldn't give you credit unless you actually open the room door. With that said, it's a new technology so this is probably a YMMV thing. (Plus in my limited experiences of attempting this with SPG, I inevitably end up stopping by the front desk for some reason or another.)