Hotel room deaths raise carbon monoxide concerns for travelers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

  1. sobore
    Original Member

    sobore Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:

    A trio of deaths at a hotel in Boone, N.C., two by carbon monoxide and one by asphyxia, could have travelers wondering if they should be concerned about running out of oxygen on their next vacation.
    “Travelers should be concerned,” said Ted Panagiotopoulos, owner of Fire & Life Safety Concepts LLC, in Wilton, Conn. “Anywhere there are fuel-fired appliances being used where you have the potential for carbon monoxide to build up, you should have CO detection.”

    The issue has taken on tragic significance in light of the death of Jeffrey Williams, an 11-year-old boy who died while staying at the Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone, N.C. According to NBC Charlotte, the local health department has determined that carbon monoxide was present in the room and that Williams died of asphyxiation.

    According to the Charlotte News & Observer, the second-floor room is directly above a room that houses the natural-gas heater for the hotel pool.

    A March 6th inspection of the pool by the Appalachian District Health Department found several violations. According to the inspection report, the "chemical/equipment room is required to have natural cross ventilation or forced air ventilation. This needs to be corrected asap."

    Read More:
    uggboy likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

    MSYgirl Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:
    Yikes. I would never think to check for carbon monoxide. That's sad about the deaths and scary for travelers.

Share This Page