Hotel Reviews

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by ag51, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a place on MilePoint for hotel reviews? With the current forum structure, you might find these in individual hotel chain threads, as part of trip reports or the various destination threads - they could even be in the hot deal/mattress run type threads.

Perhaps it would be possible to keep this flexibility (post wherever you think is most appropriate) but somehow link/tag them so that they can be found more easily by searches.

An example of the kind of thing I'm thinking of - I'm going to San Fransisco for a few days, and hold various hotel reward cards. I might want to search for experiences of all hotels in that city, just hotels that belong to a certain chain (or even how all hotels in SF treat particular levels of their elite members - the Royal Ambassador thread on FT is an example of that) or just one hotel - one hotel might be possible through the current search, but even that relies on consistency when entering the name. As an old fashioned IT person, I'd put them all in a database but I'm sure there would be a better way.

Is this even worth doing? Tripadvisor does the hotel review stuff well, but I can't get just the "what if I'm a Marriott Platinum member?" view of a city/hotel, so I think this could be a powerful feature if the indexing/linking was done well.

Edit: just noticed this thread - if we could find some way to link posts as I suggested above, that might satisfy both of these posters

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/hotel-reviews-section-needed.1904/

resipsa99 likes this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I'd like to see less cluttery hotel fora - perhaps the reviews might go into a subforum for each chain?

kenbo, misman, resipsa99 and 2 others like this.
  3. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this idea a lot.

This would allow, for instance, the main section of the HHonors forum to be for taking about the program and its perks, promotions, and problems.

There could then be a sub-forum for Hilton reviews, which would leave the main forum more focused and less cluttered, and it would also allow people to search individual areas much more easily.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a subforum for reviews in each hotel fora, it will be easier to avoid the problem of multiple threads for a property. Of course, comparison threads and new threads for post-renovation cases, etc., are desirable but having several threads started for the same hotel just makes it harder to find information.

5. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of such a forum...for example, from past experience, certain hotels treat you better if you have a reward or opaque reservation while others seem to treat you worse. It'd be great to know that ahead of time to help in decision making...

6. jeff3380
    Original Member

jeff3380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i'd like to expand on that idea. it would be pretty beneficial if each hotel forum had a subforum for hotel commentary, which was pre-populated by location or by hotel. this is, it's true, an onerous task at the outset - or at least i would imagine. but it would provide future posters with a given place to put their commentary, and make it really easy for users to find things.

also, an FAQ about hotel status issues.

i would liken this to how the starwood tab on FT ended up, but with all hotels. sorted in some manner (perhaps by location?).

resipsa99 and misman like this.