hotel reviewer gets sued for posting a negative review

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MalcoveMagnesia, Aug 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    This story was on the front page of the Daily Dot today:

Hotel sues guest for $95,000 over bad review, bed bugs

And I'm kind of curious: there's no mention of TripAdvisor's stance in all this. Their whole business model depends on getting free content from their members. Shouldn't TripAdvisor have this reviewer's back? Or are they taking the typical ISP's hands-off approach (as in "not responsible for something somebody else authored but we published").

uggboy, Sweet Willie and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Hotel Quebec -- The Hotel that sues you for a bad review" pretty bad slogan if you ask me.

Anyway.. Bed bugs sightings are increasing tremendously in North America. Everyone should be checking the sides of the mattresses and boxsprings when checking into any hotel -- cheap or expensive... If you see anything suspicious change your room or hotel!

uggboy likes this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I understand the gentleman's right to post his review, why on earth would you continue to sleep on a bug-infested bed? Not something I would subject myself to and certainly would not prevent him from posting a negative review!

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I agree. Sleep on a couch in the lobby if you have to. If I were TripAdvisor I would be doing my best to stay on the sidelines unless there was some large fear that the lawsuit could alter their business model. I'm skeptical the hotel can win the suit if the given facts are true. It's not slander if it really happened. I'm not sure what else they would be suing for, since I don't think, "Yes, we acknowledge there were bed bugs in your room but it's not fair you told a bunch of people." is a successful plan.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but they can easily outspend almost everyone they are suing. And in the end, if you can't afford to defend yourself, you lose.

LETTERBOY and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    perhaps they are taking Yelp's approach and will remove negative reviews if the business purchases ad space (something that has been alleged but not proven).

7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article the OP linked to contains a link to this article: http://blog.sweetiq.com/2013/08/hotel-sues-guest-for-95k-over-bad-review/

In that article are the following lines: though not before telling guests he passed about the bugs, convincing them they should pack up as well. Notably, he told the director of the hotel that she should “get on her knees and beg him not to tell this story to anyone.”

I'd guess this is more about the hotel feeling bullied/blackmailed by the actions described than it is about the bad TripAdvisor review. I don't think the hotel should have sued the guy, but if the actions described above actually happened, I don't have much sympathy for him.

8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ridiculous! I recall Damian from UPGRD having his TripAdvisor review taken down by the hotel he reviewed!

uggboy likes this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt the hotel denies there being bedbugs ! So it does weaken the case.

10. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many civilized states have legislation to prevent these kind if suits - check SLAPP laws in your state. Basically, legislators are on to this tactic, and in places where they aren't a wholly owned subsidiary of big business, have provided consumers with a cheap defense.

11. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I support this guy. He wrote a legitimate review addressing a serious problem. If he's in the right, there's nothing the hotel can so about it. Instead of addressing the issue of the bed bugs and then turning the attention into positive with the newly renovated or replaced whatever, they decided to attack instead. That's piss poor management and public relations. Any attorney will be more than happy to take this guy's case pro bono and then counter sue for money.

12. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why should TripAdvisor stick up for him? Or for the hotel, for that matter? They're probably going to get dragged into the case somehow (no matter what they do, or who they support), and they'd be smart to keep their heads down and limit their exposure.

14. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incredible... but if reviewer would not be Canadian, case would probably not be possible... as Canadian courts have no jurisdiction over foreigners...