Hotel Review: Hilton Nagoya, Japan

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by HiIslands, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Nagoya hotel is an easy 15 minute walk, 5 minute taxi/shuttle bus ride from the main train station. The hotel shuttle runs only in the morning and late afternoon. If you choose to walk, you can cover several blocks of it protected from the elements in the underground mall running along Sakura-dori.

The front desk staff here are pleasant, efficient and helpful. No lines for check-in or out, either. I got some excellent restaurant recommendations from them, accompanied by easy to follow, accurate directions too.

The guest rooms are very similar to those at the Shinjuku Hilton, if you've been there. They are medium size, well designed, well equipped and quite comfortable. (As a diamond member i was not upgraded to a larger room or an executive floor room, but I was given executive lounge privileges.)
    The rooms have cables for Internet, but if you need wireless you will have to request a wireless router for your room. They are in limited supply, so ask immediately upon making your reservation or at check-in. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are quiet and the heating/ventilation/air conditioning works flawlessly, all making for a very good night's sleep.

The executive lounge has a moderate supply of snacks and drinks. It is a comfortable place to relax during the day, but gets a little crowded and busy in the evening. I was given the option of taking breakfast in the second floor restaurant. The buffet there is terrific, with Japanese/Chinese/Western dishes, all prepared to a very high standard. There are also a lot of fresh fruits and fruit juices available.

The greatest strength of the Nagoya Hilton is its staff. Without exception, I found them to be enthusiastic, pleasant, helpful, well-informed and personable. The front desk manager greeted me upon check-in and made contact with me several times during my staff to make sure everything was going well. This Hilton hotel should serve as a model for training the staff at other Hiltons in Japan.

In sum, I found the Nagoya Hilton to be an enjoyable place to stay. I will definitely go back.

DAS02135 and uggboy like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that this hotel although a bit dated is quite a decent property and the executive lounge concierge staff are very good.

I will however disagree with you as to the comparison as related (if I am to understand you correctly) with other Japan Hilton properties. having stayed at the Conrad Tokyo multiple times and the Hilton Osaka twice.... I find the overall treatment of HH guests (if I use myself as an example) to be far superior as a national group to any other I have visted.
    In particular the lounge staff at the Hilton Osaka has the been the best I have encountered in any hotel anywhere in the world. One simple example was them keeping the lounge open a full hour plus after the stated opening hours and re-opening the bar to serve guests who arrived even a full 30 mins after closing.

gemac, HiIslands and uggboy like this.
  3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your observations regarding the Hilton Osaka are certainly compelling!

I've stayed at the Shinjuku/Osaka/Nagoya Hiltons and the Conrad multiples times and my comment about training wasn't intended to take anything away from the other properties. My gut-level assessment of my experiences at all of them somehow made me feel that the Nagoya staff represented something of a "best practice".

We all tend to use somewhat different criteria in defining outstanding service and that's what's great about MilePoint-- we can read descriptions of the elephant from a lot of different perspectives.

newbluesea likes this.
  4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree about the Hilton Osaka - it is a splendid hotel, and the executive lounge staff is fantastic. And I was not a HHonors elite, who had paid $3.24 per night for an executive floor room. The staff could not have treated us better.

HiIslands likes this.