Hotel review forum?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by calvinoeh, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Something to think about is a hotel review forum/thread which is kind of like tripadvisor. This usually turns into mega threads in FT but still useful information on past experiences at the particular hotel. Would be interested in MP could also something better...

servus likes this.
  2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not just post hotel reviews in the Hotel Chain's forum?

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you clarify your post? Are you looking for a cap on the number of reviews for a property in the hotel forums, or some type of time-limit as to how long the material stays active before it's archived or purged?

4. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree: there are plenty of sites out there for general hotel reviews. In my opinion the best reviews on this site would answer the question, "What should I know about this particular hotel given my elite status in its chain's loyalty program?".

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if that's what the OP was thinking, but it's a good idea: Re-orient the reviews so they are newest review first and then have the older material drop off into an archive at some point.

Management of hotels changes, staff turns over, the physical plant ages/is renovated, and service offerings are re-aligned; so hotel reviews probably have an "expiration date" beyond which they provide interesting historical perspective but not much current value.

This is likely to happen anyway. One of the reasons I go to a site like this for reviews rather than TripAdvisor is that the TA users aren't enough like me to post a review I care about--they perspective, and likely the experience at the hotel, of an occasional leisure traveler is just too different from mine to matter.

tom911 likes this.
  6. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Information which is sometimes hard to find on hotel review sites is 'free WiFi with/without status', 'free/cheap airport transfers' (good for MR runs) or even 'good or 24/7 supermarket nearby'. I love the reviews on FT although they often do not answer all the questions.
    Regarding the location ... no comment as I first have to get more familiar with the structure here.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be reading between the lines and reading more into his post than he's really saying. Hopefully he does come back and expand some. I don't like megathreads with hundreds of posts and hope we will do some type of capping of threads after the new board is around for a year or two. Probably doesn't need to be high on the agenda list for now but we're eventually going to have to discuss it.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I find my reviews tend to cover the room, food, and maybe the health club or lounge, but I'm generally not reporting on wifi, transportation, or even the closest train station. I have raised some questions like that when I'm looking at a property that has been reviewed and have always received a helpful answer. Sometime it's just a matter of asking the reviewer to expand on his comments.

9. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's extend the sticky on how to write a hotel review and ask the author to answer the questions we have.

10. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the least useful megathreads are those that are really old, where posts 1-xxx no longer provide relevant information. (I cry a little when I open an FT review thread to research a new hotel and see that the first page contains posts from last century.)

Maybe review threads can be "archived" over time and replaced by a property-specific FAQ/wiki with answers to these kinds of questions (and in the Hyatt forum, unique Diamond welcome amenities).

brp likes this.
  11. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the wiki approach is a good one. This way the information can be kept fresh and up-to-date. Wifi rules change, and the details of the rules from 2005 are not really relevant to 2011.

If one really wants to see the archival nature of hotel policies, there's always FT. Do we really need to recreate the same backlog of old into when it already exists on the interwebs? We don't need to be inclusive of all info since it exists elsewhere.

Cheers.

gemac likes this.
  12. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry for not being super clear in the original post. I am looking for a better way to get info on hotels. I like the how the reviews are done in tripadvisor where it is a "one-place" for all reviews VS FT megathreads where there might be some irrelevant info in those threads.

Maybe a wiki would work?

13. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely want to have such a forum here on MP

14. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't call it irrelevant info. One user might consider it "useless" information, while another is looking for exactely that info. However, one thread per property should be the limit. Starting with the basic information about the property, followed by the personal review.

15. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, my wish yould be to have a reliable source with an up to date info. As mentioned above, sometimes it was even hard to find the desired info on FT because of the information spread in several threads. Of course the info exists elsewhere but isn't there a reason why we all are here, not elsewhere?