Hotel Recommendations: Stockholm

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TAHKUCT, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning a short trip to Stockholm and looking for a hotel suggestions. Will be traveling with my family and be staying in the city for about 4 nights.

deant likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm and it was very nice. Great location, very good service etc. Walking distance to most areas and the sightseeing ferries.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are looking for a recommendation but I am going to de-recommend a hotel: Hilton Stockholm-Slussen. I was there a couple of years ago and found nothing to recommend about this property...

deant and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton might work. Just checked and cash and points option is available 4k points plus $60 per night.:) Do you know if they have a club lounge?

deant likes this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was wrong with that property?

deant likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Don't know if they have a club lounge. When we were there a couple of years ago I didn't have status so did not pay attention. We also stayed on cash and points. Was a fantastic deal.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, its location is a bit remote from most of the city's attractons; I was upgraded to the executive floor into a room that was so small and nondescript that I wondered what a standard room would be like, and much else around was just as nondescript. I said that I found nothing recommend but I would like to change that: breakfast was very good. I may be too demanding because I am comparing it with other properties where I've stayed, but because I would not return there, I would not recommend it to someone else,

Nondescript building on the right with flags on top is Hilton-Slussen:
    ARN-1.jpg

Entrance door:
    ARN-0.jpg

Something I would recommend is the Stockholm City Hall where the Nobel Prize award ceremonies take place. That is the Gold Room with every inch of the wall covered with pieces of real gold:

ARN-2.jpg

Cheers!

RichardInSF and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I value free breakfast, especially at European properties as breakfast can very expensive. As a Honors Gold, breakfast would be included plus free internet. However, y wife would kill me if we would get stuck in a tiny room.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked descriptions of the rooms at Hilton Stockholm Slussen and max occupancy is 2 adults. No go for us, because there will be a total of 3 in our party.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree about breakfast, but a picture is worth a thousand words so I just updated my post above.

Yup, rooms are really tiny...

TAHKUCT likes this.
  11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A sort of positive thing about this Hilton property and the area is that one has a great view of the City Hall (last tower on the left) reminiscent of a painting by the great Dutch Masters, as can be appreciated in this pano pic:

STOCKHOLM-PANORAMA-2-small.jpg

TAHKUCT likes this.
  13. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while since I stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm, but when I last did, it definitely had a club room. As does the Hilton Slussen.

There is a tendency in ALL Nordic hotels to include a massive breakfast in most rates.

I too have stayed at the Hilton Slussen as well and paid to upgrade to a junior suite which was still claustrophobic, on the order of 30sqmt. Plus the wall decor (alternating horizontal blonde and brown strips of wood) really bothered me.

But ordinary rooms at the Sheraton are nothing special in size either.

Stockholm does not have a single luxury hotel, and I specifically mean to include the Grand in my reckoning when I say that. Even the upscale hotels (like the Sheraton and Hilton) are below their equivalents elsewhere.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That is a disappointment for such nice city not to have a luxury property :(