Hotel Recommendations Near Hearst Castle

Discussion in 'California' started by yunicorner, May 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm visiting Hearst Castle in the near future and noticed on Google maps that there weren't many hotels nearby. Closest chain hotels are 25 miles away in Paso Robles. Any suggestions?

2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    An alternate base for chain accomodations would be San Luis Obispo, which might be a better option if you are driving the Highway 1 coastal road from either the north or (especially) the south.

Closer accomodations (more independent motels or inns) with dining options are available in the small towns of Cambria, Cayucos and Morro Bay.

And of course, there is the Madonna Inn in SLO for a very unique (in a good way) experience:

http://www.madonnainn.com/

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha, the Madonna is definitely interesting. My family would stay in Pismo Beach instead of San Luis Obispo. Just a little further away, but with a nicer view. And you can't beat the warning signs on the beach regarding the nearby Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant. IIRC: "If you hear a siren for less than 10 minutes or greater than 20 minutes, there is no cause for alarm. If you hear a siren for between 10 and 20 minutes, evacuate immediately." In other words, if you hear a siren, hang around for 20 minutes before deciding if you should panic. :eek:

But seriously, there's not really anything closer than San Luis Obispo. It's going to be a day trip.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Madonna Inn is unique but don't expect luxury.

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, if you are planning on driving Hwy 1, be aware that there was a huge mudslide that closed the road up north between Monterey and Big Sur. They might have re-opened the road to one-way traffic, but I'm not sure. Definitely something you might want to check out!

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed in a small owner-managed inn, I think in Cambria, that also had a very good restaurant (why I picked it). The rooms weren't wonderful but it was fine for a night or two. I found it in my AAA book.

7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might try (especially if you need a hotel with loyalty program affiliation) the Best Western Cavalier Inn in San Simeon. http://www.cavalierresort.com/
    BTW, we live in San Luis Obispo, which is a great town, and where we have some nice-ish chain properties and some good B&Bs (I'm personally not a Madonna Inn fan), but I think we're too far for a day trip to Hearst Castle unless you want to be coming back down this way instead of going farther north. Alternatively, after Hearst Castle (if you have come from the south) you can cross Highway 46 and stay in Paso Robles. (You would stay first and then cross 46 if coming down 101 from the north.) That's wine country, so you could do some tasting.

8. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great advice. Thanks everyone! The plan is to drive from San Diego, overnight in the San Simeon vicinity, day trip to Hearst Castle, and drive up to Monterey. Thanks for the mention of the mudslide, hulagrrl210. That definitely puts a damper on things. The plan is to use points for the hotels so I'll look into SLO.

9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you stay in SLO, then day trip to Hearst Castle, you'll have to come south just past Cambria to Hwy 46; go east to Paso Robles to catch 101 North, then take 68 West to Monterey. All in, from Hearst Castle, you'd be talking 2.75 hours' travel on well-maintained roads.
    BTW, if you want to have coffee (or ice cream) the night you're in SLO, give us a "conversation." If you have the time, Thursday night is a good one to be in SLO, as it's Farmer's Market night, with the streets closed and the restaurants and farmers selling there. The Holiday Inn Express is pretty OK, if you want to redeem points. So is that Best Western in San Simeon. There's an Embassy Suites here, too, but it's not right in the heart of downtown. The new Courtyard is along the freeway, and decidedly not downtown, but since you have a car and this is a small burg, you'll be fine.

10. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the coffee/ice cream invite! I would love to meet another MPer on the road. I will let you know once our schedule is finalized.