Hotel Recommendations: Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TAHKUCT, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning a short trip to Copenhagen and looking for a hotel suggestions. Will be traveling with my family and be staying in the city for about 3 nights.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Copenhagen two times. Both times we stayed at CabInn City Hotel. It is a very good location- right near the train station (behind Tivoli Gardens). The rooms are tiny- think of a room modeled after one on a ship. They are very clean & comfortable and breakfast is included.

Check out their website http://www.cabinn.com/english/kbh/city/city.html

3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

How large are those rooms? They look very tiny and only standard room can accommodate 3 people.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nyhaven 71? is largish boutique hotel built into an old warehouse on the old port, stylish and surrounded by tourist restaurants. It's a pleasant walk along the water to the Little Mermaid.

Wandering Aramean and TAHKUCT like this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was with my wife-our room was very tiny & meant for 2. I know they have larger rooms although large is a relative word when it comes to this hotel... When we were there, I noticed many couples with a child or 2.
    I don't know what your budget is like but we were looking for something cheap. This was as cheap as we could find in a decent area and it still was pricey.

Have you been to Copenhagen before?

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed pre-cruise at the Marriott -the canal tour left from the hotel (canal side) as well as city tour bus. Not in city center and a bit pricey (found whole city to be) Tivoli/train station about a 10-15 min walk. Post cruise stayed at the airport and took train into the city (easy to do)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price is very good and location is great. However, I think those rooms will be to small for us. I would love to stay under $300US per night if it is going to be possible.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    How did you like the Marriott? Is it really far from the city center?

9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for suggestion. Will their rooms accommodate 3 people?

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on how big the third person is. If it is a child, you would be fine there...

Do you plan to spend all of your time in Copenhagen or will you do a day trip or 2?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    No definitive plans yet. We do want to go to Stockholm after.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can do a day trip to Malmo, Sweden. It's about an hour train ride. We did that during our first time to Copenhagen.
    I was also there last Feb thanks to an amazing Delta fare of $151. We had 3 full days on the ground and based out of Copenhagen. First day we spent in Copenhagen then we visited two other cities each about an hour away. It was absolutely freezing but a great time!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  13. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm usually SPG fan but thought the Marriott was fine for this trip. I liked the fact that it was on the water and I could do both tours (canal and city tour) from the hotel as I was there for a 1 1/2 days, I felt that I managed to see alot in a short time. The restaurant on property was good for bfast and lunch, I had dinner at Tivoli. My room faced the canal above the outdoor meeting terrace so was noisy as there was a group meeting. I like to walk so didn't mind there were no shops near the hotel so I bought water/snacks/etc near the train station/Tivoli area, about 10-15 min walk so not far from the pedestrian zone shopping area, restaurants and local shops or you could catch a boat at the hotel. I did not use taxi or bus while there just walked. Most of the hotel guests were business not leisure.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great suggestion. Will look in to going to Malmo.

unavaca, Gargoyle and MLW20 like this.
  15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also would prefer SPG property, but as far as I know, there is no SPG property in Copenhagen :( Looke at Marriott rates and they are high for the dates we are looking, maybe I can find a AAA rate or any other discount for it.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed a a few times at the Radisson which is very well located and has good rates during the summer when there are less business travellers. The Hilton at the airport is excellent however it is located at the airport. I have also stayed at some of the pricier hotels in Copenhagen, and with the exception of the aforementioned Nyhavn 71 I really thought they were not worth the money.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  17. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found 3 Radissons. At which one did you stay?

Gargoyle likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The tall tower directly in front of Tivoli.

19. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed there a couple years ago and very much enjoyed it. That said, no a/c in the room and it got HOT the nights we were there, but that was also a crazy heat wave in the middle of the summer.

The room could have accommodated a 3rd, I believe, and the location is awesome. It backs up to the main waterfront area and the Nyhavn canal that it sits on is a hub of activity day and night.

21. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing to your review and that is nice to know that their rooms can accommodate 3 people.

Gargoyle likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would confirm with the hotel that they can put an extra bed in when you book. There was space in our room but you'll want to make sure that is something they actually do.

We did the citypass cards for our stay, which I normally don't do, but it actually made sense for us on that trip. We also did a day trip to Helsingor (and took the ferry to Sweden for lunch up there with a friend of my wife's) and spent some time at the Vikingeskibsmuseet in Roskilde. Both were very cool and the city pass covers the train rides to them (and access through Tivoli Gardens) which made for reasonably priced, easy travel and access to stuff in town. The passes are expensive, which originally turned me off from them, but it turns out everything there is so it was actually a good investment on our part.

Oh, and try the hot dogs. :D

[​IMG]

TAHKUCT likes this.
  23. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for linking your trip reviews. They make it easier for us to plan a trip.

PS: you should of showed me that hot dog earlier, I would have gone to Copenhagen a long time ago :D

Wandering Aramean and Gargoyle like this.
  24. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend:
    5*: Hotel Sankt Petri or Nimb
    4* Hotel Kong Arthur or Scandic Hotel Palace
    3* Absalon Hotel

Feel free to ask any questions regarding Copenhagen. I am a local ;)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  25. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know the IT-University uses http://www.operahotelcopenhagen.com for invited guests. It has one of the best locations in Copenhagen, and seemed very reasonable priced.

TAHKUCT likes this.