Hotel Point Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by flyforawg, Sep 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    So it's that time of the year(s) where I move on to a different travel pattern. Finally will have access to Starwood properties. Westin and Element. Element may win in order to keep the travel budget in line, but think I prefer Westin, but have never stayed at an element.

Is it worth it to switch over to SPG this late in the year despite having no chance at getting to platinum? I'd be able to take advantage of their fall promotion starting in October.

I can stay with Marriott and/or Courtyard and keep racking up rollover nights to use next year and work on the megabonus.

Or I could stay at embassy suites for the rest of the year and get the double points during the week promo. I need four stays with the Amex card promo to retain gold per a promotion posted in a Hilton thread here.

So many choices and permutations of this, I'm having a hard time deciding.

Leaning toward sticking with Marriott and getting the megabonus and a nice balance of rollover nights and then switch to SPG next year and go for platinum there. However the value of star points seems like it would be better. I have both co-branded cards so I'd be getting 5/$ on Marriott card plus the platinum bonus and the megabonus. I'd be getting 5/$ SPG for the card and gold status plus the double point bonus and 500 extra for 3 or more nights. Most stays will be 4 nights during this time.

Maybe someone will see something I've missed or have some insights that might sway me in a different direction.

Newscience and GoldenFlyer like this.
  2. GoldenFlyer

GoldenFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well to start there is a Promo with Alitalia to get HHonors Gold until October 31, 2015, so you have to enter it and then make 4 stays you still have one month you get the HHonors Gold till october 2017!
    Or ask a challenge from spg or a challenge from Marriott Rewards easy to get!

flyforawg likes this.
  3. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the things I look at, is the footprint of hotels in cities that I would want to visit on my overseas vacations. That drives me to accrue hotel points with one chain or the other. Where will you be using your points? What kind of hotels does that city have? How many would you need to cover your entire vacation? That, plus the promotions of different chains, is how I decide on where to stay for my biz trips.

GoldenFlyer and flyforawg like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you complete a challenge with your remaining travel? Consider that. Spg base earning for hotel stays is not great. Plat helps a lot.

As mentioned, look at where and how you want to burn, plus your current points portfolio. Does spg open up new opportunities? Where do you like to vacation, and in what sort of properties?

GoldenFlyer and flyforawg like this.
  5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point. Hadn't thought about that angle. Think the next big trip not yet scheduled will be down under. Will have to do that research.

Definitely going to use my Amex promotion to retain gold. Will just work in one night a week with the embassy suites until I hit four. The only question for next year is it HH Gold with Marriott Platinum and SPG Gold or
    HH Gold with Marriott Gold and SPG Platinum or
    HH Gold with both Marriott and SPG Platinum.

Decisions, decisions.

GoldenFlyer likes this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could challenge and easily get SPG platinum this year, but would then forego the Marriott rollover nights and megabonus.

Currently about 180k Marriott after a UK trip later this year.
    Also about 180k in Hilton after a drawdown for an upcoming Waldorf stay.
    Only about 60k in SPG.

Love the european valuation for SPG, but it's been a few years since I did that. Will have to see if they're still as good.

I posted above at the same time you were, but think the next big trip will be down under. I only remember staying at a Wyndham there decades ago, so need to do my homework.

GoldenFlyer likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Park Hyatt Sydney is quite nice(to add more to the mix...) With a fantastic location, as was Sheraton Sydney. Sheraton port Douglas is aging but location is of interest. Holiday inn kakadu is uniquely located in a highly recommended location with no competitors within hours. Various Hiltons around, and a few other spg and Hyatt. No idea on Marriott.

flyforawg and GoldenFlyer like this.
  8. GoldenFlyer

Status Points:
    Wyndham never make neither a status match nor a status challenge. Well me i always need Air Miles so in my Hotel cards only debited nights and levels some points with HH that i do not know even what to do with LOL

flyforawg likes this.
  9. GoldenFlyer

Status Points:
    Actually i am a member for a long time but i am active the last 24 h so how can i make a signature like yours?