Hotel Photos Not Allowed

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by CrankyScott, Aug 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upon checking at the Courtyard Marriott Bangkok I was given a welcome letter by the Reward Concierge and at the end of the letter it said “I hope that by the end of your stay, you will share your feeling to our satisfaction survey and TripAdvisor.com through your e-mail”

So the next morning I had some fee time and thought I would snap a few photos with my pocket camera and write a review. I talked with the Reward Concierge and she explained hotel photos are not allowed. This includes public space and guest rooms. I also spoke with the duty manager and they too said guests are not allowed to take photos of the hotel and use for a review.

[​IMG]

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

The funny thing is I would have written a very favorable review, but now I question my future visits to Bangkok and where our team will stay.

uggboy, rwoman, Chimpy and 10 others like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've only ever been asked not to take photos (of public spaces) at the Grand Hyatt Mumbai. It was hotel security that came up to me, and I suspect they were hyper-sensitive because it was the two year anniversary of the bombing of the Taj Palace. They seem to think photo takers are scoping out the place for an attack.

jmrich1432, uggboy, N965VJ and 2 others like this.
  3. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd have to tell them to pound sand.

uggboy, N965VJ, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hope that a hotel would respect the privacy of other guests and ask you not to photograph other people (and not to annoy others with flash or requests that people not walk near you), but I don't see how they could--either legally or pragmatically--prevent you from taking pictures in your own room.

5. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, Chimpy, kellio and 2 others like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    you should have followed the old proverb: "It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission".
    i.e. you should have just taken pictures and not asked first. I do agree that any faces should be blurred before posting them online.

uggboy, N965VJ, rwoman and 6 others like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd? Are they housing a drug kingpin somewhere and don't want to chance having him photographed? :confused:

uggboy, N965VJ, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  8. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I would write that review on Trip Advisor :D

N965VJ, rwoman, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  9. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is puzzling. How and why they think they can control such a thing is strange. There are 171 user photos posted on Tripadvisor, most relevant and flatter the hotel.

N965VJ, rwoman and Chimpy like this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the potential of terrorist attacks in Bangkok, I think that I understand why they would not want photos of the public areas. It would be relatively easy to determine from such pictures where and when to place a bomb that would cause the most damage. So, I think the hotel was probably being defensive when they said that no photos of the public areas.

Whether right or wrong probably depends on whether you are on the Hotel Security mode or the interested guest mode.

kellio likes this.
  11. Kung Pao

Kung Pao Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a shame as I do like that hotel lobby shot. The official web page photos of some hotel/guest-house rooms certainly show them at their very best :)

N965VJ, savydog and Chimpy like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's just utterly ridiculous for hotel security to think that a prohibition of photos will make it impossible/difficult for "evil doers" to gather information (incl. photos).

Certainly no one stopped me from taking pictures at the Hyatt in Bangkok.

uggboy, N965VJ, kellio and 2 others like this.
  13. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    A number of people have commented on security. And yes, many hotels have joined the security theater program.

Last year the Bangkok Courtyard Marriott did “inspect” all cars entering the property as well as had a metal detector at the entrance as well as luggage scanning. On this visit, they had none.

So with the lowered on property security, my guess is security is not the reason.

uggboy, N965VJ, kellio and 2 others like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Plaza Athenee security guard charged and in no uncertain terms told me not take photos of their structure ... I banged away regardless :D
    [​IMG]

uggboy, N965VJ, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, N965VJ, kellio and 1 other person like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    canucklehead, uggboy and savydog like this.
  17. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

From *wood website.....

Jimgotkp, uggboy, N965VJ and 2 others like this.
  18. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd suspect that hotels would also want to keep paparazzi, private investigators and similar types out of the premises when VIPs are staying, so the "no photography" rule is one harsh way to do that.

Years ago I was with a bunch of friends at a Starbucks in Kyoto. We had just bought a bunch of souvenir garb and were taking pictures of each other wearing fake sumo wrestler hair, samurai outfits, etc. The manager came up to us and told us to stop, claiming that photography wasn't allowed inside "any Starbucks anywhere in the world." I can't explain that one for the life of me.

uggboy likes this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither your room nor "public places" are actually in public. The hotel certainly has the right to ask you to not take photos. Whether you choose to comply or not is a different issue.

uggboy likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct. They can also demand that you only hop on your right foot while in your room. Neither that nor the prohibition of photography makes sense and is enforceable. :)

And the photo of the Plaza Athenee above seems to have been taken from a public place. But it's not uncommon even in the US for photographers to get harassed when taking pictures of buildings from public sidewalks/streets.

uggboy, N965VJ and Kalboz like this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how a hotel could enforce a prohibition on photography in your own room, short of inspecting all cameras, cell phones, etc. of departing guests (assuming that the pictures weren't already uploaded to the internet or something), which most would consider highly objectionable. However, they can prohibit photography for commercial purposes and prosecute when they notice a violation.

22. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Security guard came to me and said no photos from the atrium // public spaces of the Hyatt Regency Kiev.

Employee came to me and told me no photos from the public spaces @ the Hyatt Regency Warsaw. The reason she gave us: Because there public space design is copyrighted! Ever heard such thing???

No inside // or outside photos of the Phoenicia InterContinental Hotel in Beirut, security stormed on me with help of some soldiers which wore guns.

Employee told me NO photographs of the lobby // bar // public spaces @ The President Wilson, a Luxury Collection Hotel in Geneva.

Was told not to take any photos from the lobby and Promenade of the Dorchester Hotel by the Promenade manageress, oddly just a year earlier or so I could shoot there very freely!

23. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rather odd, during our stay at the Plaza Athenee, A Royal Meridien Hotel, we could shoot and shoot and shoot!;)

24. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

25. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same in Seoul, could take pictures freely of the Grand Hyatt Seoul without any interruption!:)