Hotel One Taichung, Taiwan - Review

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jul 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wrapping up two separate 1 week stays here at the Hotel One in Taichung, Taiwan. It's located a few blocks away from the Sogo which makes it a relatively easy stop if taking the bus from TPE to Taichung (Natural Science Museum stop). If you take the high speed rail, a cab from the Taichung station will be around NT$240 and if you take the regular rail, a cab will be around NT$120.

The hotel has a modern design and is very comfortable. The room has a familiar layout with a very functional desk, a mini fridge/bar, DVD player, surround sound system and decent size flat screen TV. The bathroom is nice with a good size tub and fairly nice toiletries from Minerals which utilizes salt from the Dead Sea in their products.

The IN restaurant on the 28th floor is where they host the breakfast buffet which is very good. The pastries/breads are especially good which I believe are made by the LIZ bakery in the lobby. Over a long 2 week stay, the selection doesn't change too much but there is a pretty good selection between Western and Chinese / Japanese cuisine so most people won't get tired of it.

The service at the hotel is excellent from the doormen, concierge / front desk staff, to restaurant and housekeeping. Even when an error is made, the recovery is swift and genuine.

In addition to being a few blocks from Sogo, right around the corner from the hotel is Chun Shui Tang which is the originator of boba milk tea. Other drinks and food there are excellent but the boba milk tea is not to be missed. Not only is there one on the street level around the corner, there is an Eslite just a block away from there which also has another Chun Shui Tang in the B1 level. There are also other tasty treats there including a 1010 restaurant which serves up very good Hunan cuisine (don't miss the cumin spiced ribs... they are pricey at NT$130 each but you need to have at least one).

A short cab ride away on Gongyi Rd west of the hotel is a very popular area for dining out in Taichung. You can choose from lots of different restaurants including different types of hot pot restaurants as well as many others including Ikki (a Japanese restaurant with a set menu that is serves up attractive food and is a great value).

All in all, Taichung is a good city to beat the heat in Taiwan and the Hotel One is a very nice place to hold up while in town.

HiIslands and uggboy like this.
  2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I liked the 28th floor restaurant too! Have you ever stayed at the Landis, (up the street)? If so, how does Hotel One compare?

uggboy likes this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the only hotel I've stayed at in Taichung so I can't compare to the Landis. However, my wife was in town on business and her client can pick any hotel to stay at and they almost always pick Hotel One.