Hotel minibars: In need of being refreshed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/09/travel/hotel-minibars-business-traveller/index.html

Few hotel features ignite debate quite like the minibar. For some they represent a luxurious indulgence, for others daylight robbery with high prices and poor choice.

The cost of minibar items has long been an issue of contention but what many don't realize is that price tag on a pack of M&Ms for example also reflects the extensive labor, inventory and potential waste that stocking that item entails.

"We had a full department looking after our minibars; six people working seven days a week," says John Askew, the director of food and beverage at The Peabody Hotel Orlando.

"Our minibar had 35 items, and with 831 rooms to look after you can imagine how many cases you had to have on hand to keep it stocked. If an item wasn't moving, you could find yourself with 16 cases of expired Coke."

Read More: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/09/travel/hotel-minibars-business-traveller/index.html

Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  2. I prefer to eat in the bar, or snack in the spa the room is boring

Mapsmith and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention paying $6 for a small bag of M&M's. :p

Mapsmith, uggboy and AdamAlex like this.
  4. Another example of that stupidity is the way IC's treat their top tier guests. Booze in the minibar is free but the snacks are not.

Mapsmith, uggboy and sobore like this.
  5. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't back this up with any data but I would say if the Cokes were $1.50 a can instead of $4 you wouldn't have to worry about expiring product.

I do like the pre-order system a lot, I hope that catches on. To be honest I'm happy having an empty mini-fridge 99% of the time.

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to have a pre-order system, but I hate hotels that don't have a minibar at all. I spent at least $20 at the minibar at the Donovan House this weekend, and none of it was on alcohol. It's just a huge convenience, especially when a hotel completely fails to accomodate your welcome amenity.

Mapsmith likes this.
  7. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would never choose to eat or drink from the minibar, not only because it is expensive, but also because it is less sociable, I would much rather go to a local supermarket, or within the hotel restaurant or bars to eat and drink. I find no need in having an overpriced chocolate bar whilst abroad! The only use I have found with them is trying to store and keep my own bottles of water I've purchased cold within the room.!

Mapsmith and rockyrock like this.
  8. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to eat in the bar and like pre order system It's just a huge convenience

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the minibar is reasonably priced I use it. When it is way out of range I tend to avoid.

By reasonably priced I can accept a markup of up to 200% given the logistical challenges etc.

When I see margins above 500% I am insulted.

Mapsmith likes this.