Hotel Madness: No Free Wi-Fi wins!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Funtodoimpossible, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel Madness: No Free Wi-Fi wins!

by Mike Barish (RSS feed) on Apr 5th 2011 at 11:30AM
    After weeks of competition, thousands of votes and tons of ranting and raving on Twitter, all of you have made it abundantly clear that you hate paying for internet access at hotels. No free Wi-Fi dominated every round of the Hotel Madness tournament on its way to winning the championship. No hotel pet peeve so thoroughly and completely annoyed our readers like having to pay for Wi-Fi. Bad water pressure should be proud to have made it to the finals, but it was no match for Hotel Madness' own 800-pound gorilla. In a sea of added fees, poor service, thin toilet paper and, yes, bad water pressure, all people truly seem to want is to connect to the web - and the world - for free.

<snip>
    http://www.gadling.com/2011/04/05/h...m_campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/gadling+(Gadling)
    Over the last four rounds, No Free Wi-Fi trounced whatever it was put up against. Do you agree with the results of each match up and the winner of each round in the Hotel Madness tournament?
    That is probably one of my biggest pet peeves while traveling that and resort fees.

2. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is a business opportunity for hotels to pull back on free wifi.

this means that we really want to be connected and if we want something so badly, we will probably pay for it.

vbroucek likes this.
  3. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or we'll take our business to the ones that have free wifi. Like I usually do. It's a huge selling point to me, but I absolutely won't pay for it. I've got a wifi access point on my phone, so if the hotel doesn't have free wifi, my wife and I will just use my phone. But I would MUCH rather use broadband wifi. It's a lot easier, faster, and more convenient.

It's ridiculous that the more expensive hotels ask you to pay for it, but a lot of the budget places have it free.Personally, the free wifi at a budget place is more important than a bigger room, fancier tv, room service, concierge desk, etc...

DesertRose likes this.
  4. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that's IMHO also reason why the more upscale the hotel is the more they ask for WIFI. Most of the backpackers are free, most of the 3-4 stars are free, but most of the 5 stars are for high fee…
    They just think that a) if one can afford the night, one can also afford the WIFI and b) that if one wants it so bad, one will pay for it…

5. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not all the customers are as sophisticated as you are. Many people don't know if the hotel they are booking offer free wifi or not.

Plus, many high-end hotels make most of their money on business travelers who don't mind paying for the wifi, in fact they get more points/cashback for paying that.

Again, hotels are there to maximize the profits.

6. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume you want running water and a working toilet in your room even more badly, so how much should hotels begin charging for these things? :rolleyes:

sunseeker likes this.
  7. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be reasonable.

8. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Be logical. The vast majority of the traveling public equates internet access with plumbing, electricity and air conditioning. It's a commodity. Yet some hotels (almost all full service) still think they can charge. This model was used for landline phone charges in the 90s and 00s; the public responded by using cell phones and now the revenue stream from landline phone charges in hotels is essentially zero. That's the future for internet charges in the remaining hotels that charge.

That's my reasonable take.

Concerto likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well but following the same logic, you see most hotels offer free "local" calls from the rooms. I'm not one to touch the hotel room phone regardless, but does anybody actually offer free calls everywhere? If that revenue stream is dry, they don't just offer it to the public for free, because it's still an expense (to the hotel).

I think you'll see hotels offering free Wi-Fi at common areas (business lounge or whatever) but I don't think it's getting to the point where they'll give it away to everyone.

Personally anywhere I go I travel with a laptop, a hotspot device plus my cell phone/tablets. I don't rely -- nor do I expect -- any hotel to give me free Wi-Fi. Chances are that if they do it's worse than what I'm bringing to the table regardless... :)

10. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a couple of the hotels where I stay frequently, WiFi/Internet used to cost an additional $9.95 a night. Then, they quit the additional charge and just upped the room prices by that much (or a little more). :( As far as I'm concerned, it has just become another one of the "hidden" costs that travellers encounter on a regular basis.

Chimpy likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'm thinking will happen... you'll have regular rooms for $x amount, and "deluxe/club level" rooms for a few dollars more that have "complimentary" Wi-Fi access.

12. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you need to use it, you will have to pay one way or another.

Frankly, I'd rather stay at a hotel that charges for wifi, because I get connected using verizon card anyway.

viguera likes this.
  13. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see too much logic....

14. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fine by me. A little wager, perhaps, to your favorite charity? My $100 says that the next AHLA survey of free internet in hotels will show the same continuing upward trend that it has for the last decade. You seem to think it's a giant opportunity for hotels to start charging for it, so the trend would magically reverse in the next survey. Wanna make that bet?

15. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can't bet on a sure thing.

16. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that a lot of 4-stars still charge for internet.

17. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And yet, fewer of them every year. And in the last year, most of the big chains have gone to free internet for elites.

18. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

19. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then the number 2 thing must be the slow we use dial-up at this hotel type of wifi that makes checking email a 20 minute adventure.:eek:

20. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do not forget that the charging for WiFi (or wired Internet access) is often country specific. There are chains that have free WiFi in one country and charge lots in another.