Hotel Jogging Maps?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by katstarr, Jun 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I'm going to do a weekly post on my blog featuring Jogging Maps from hotels. I could use your help.

Can you ask at hotels you're staying at if they have a jogging map, or other written materials for runners?

If they do, can you photo the map and email it to me at WillRunForMiles@gmail.com, together with the name and location of the hotel?

If you want to include a little blurb on the map or the fitness facilities at the hotel, that would be great. I would then post it on my blog, as a regular feature (which I'm thinking of calling "cuckoo for jogging maps"). I will be happy to give you credit in my blog, as well as a link to your blog, if you have one.

I really appreciate your help.

Kathy
    www.willrunformiles.com

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never even thought to ask hotels about running maps. Sure beats the treadmill! In your experience, is there a type of hotel which tends to have these maps (e.g., boutiques, flagship brands like Marriott or Hyatt, lower-end brands like Courtyard or Fairfield, etc)? I'll have to ask next week, as I'll be spending one night each at a Doubletree, Home2Suites (first time!), and a Springhill Suites.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  3. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    thank you so much!

In my experience, the HYATT's all have them.

As for other hotels, some have them. some don't have specific jogging maps, but the concierge knows the routes and will mark a regular map. Others just look at me like I am from Mars.

I tend to find all maps interesting.

rwoman, YULtide, sc801 and 1 other person like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many four/five star hotels have these in the room.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    not recommend for College Park, GA

JennB and uggboy like this.
  6. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    well, if you can save them and forward them to me, I'd appreciate it. It would be fun to have a diverse assortment of jogging maps.

7. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last two hotels where I have used a jogging map had the information in the room-based binder under fitness but required asking the concierge for the actual maps. These were the Park Hyatt Sydney and the Hyatt in Marrietta, GA.

rwoman, NYBanker and uggboy like this.
  8. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    as an example, this is the jogging map from the HYATT Regency, New Orleans. (pretty nifty, isn't it?) jogmap.jpg

rwoman, YULtide, MissBurrill and 4 others like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    GREAT idea, katstarr!! :D

katstarr and uggboy like this.
  10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just realized that this was posted in the Mileage RUNS forum. Pun intended?? ;)

rwoman and katstarr like this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point...lol. :D

12. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kimpton boasts their jogging maps in most hotels.

Unfortunately, it's been months since I stayed in one, so I'm of little help.

13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't Need the hotel maps just use mapmyrun.com or better yet go to the Usatf.org map it area for running maps from many hotels. If there isn't one that area you can add your own.

14. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed that map my run and usatf are good rescources. But a jogging map prepared by the people who work at the hotel, familiar with the routes nearby, is wonderful, and greatly appreciated. Plus, the hotel-prepared jogging maps often have include so much more information than just a map. I think "its all good"!

15. onfo

onfo Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    thats a great website. thanks for sharing. I'd still be grateful if people sent me some jogging maps.

YULtide likes this.
  17. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed at a Kimpton hotel this past week in NYC (Ink48 - not bad at all, although the Hell's Kitchen location is a little inconvenient from a public transit perspective). Nice run down by the river (did the 2 miles and back).

Will scan and post the map at some point - promise! And you're right about the maps. It includes routes (visual on one side, written on the other side) from 2 of the 4 NYC hotels, a few restaurants, and also Parks/Farmers Markets and Outdoor Activities/Dog Parks.

18. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the Hyatt Rosemont offers this, I think they even did at checkin. They are directly next to a path tho.

19. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in NYC - my primary run route is central park, but the run along the hudson is awesome. If you want to send me the jogging map from Ink48 you can send it to willrunformiles@gmail.com. If not I'll stop by the hotel - hopefully during the wine hour.... (I love Kimpton hotels too!!)

20. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stopped by the Eventi hotel (a kimpton hotel on saturday) to see the jogging map, and stayed for wine hour. From where I sat sipping drinking wine, I watched the olympics on their really cool jumbotron which is outside the hotel.

22. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you need a jogging map on OGG (Maui) These paths are everywhere. About a 3+ mile path, on the beach front of those 4-5 star hotels on the SW coast. And if you don't care for those, the streets, where us beach goin' persons have to dodge, slow down, and yield, with our metal machines, every day for them. Just to go to our fav beach, in our metal machines. Sidebar, - Wife and I do walk the beach, and a lot of nice one in Kihei, good exercise, too. Me?? I prefer to do it with my plastic travel cup of some good 'blood thinner'.:)

23. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Westin Arlington Gateway has a very nice pocket sized colored (it even seems like the paper is almost laminated) map. It seems to always be available on the top of the bellman's stand as well as at the concierge desk. I like it for the detail on local streets and parks.

I forget where, but I've stayed in hotels that offer an organized jogging group led by a hotel staff member (the jogging concierge or something) every morning.

26. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I've sent you (or Will?) maps for the Andaz and the Muse (specific to the Muse, unlike the other NYC-wide running maps they have). Just emailed Marriott City Center Dallas to you.