Hotel Indigo Kensington

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by travelpye, Sep 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have just booked the Hotel Indigo Kensington, which has not yet opened, for part of our stay next June in London. This will be my first visit to the city. Does anyone have thoughts on the likely convenience of this location, which is at Barkston Gardens, for sightseeing ? I usually read reviews to get a sense of an are and ease of access to the places I intend to go, but as this hotel has not yet opened, I can not check reviews. If anyone familiar with the area could share their thoughts, I would be grateful. We plan to take in a number of the typical attractions, including several of the museums.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel is within walking distance of a tube station so that is a good thing. Personally I think it is not super centrally located but not that bad. Most of the basic tourist attractions are away from this neighborhood. The hotel will almost be brand new so that is something positive also

marcwint55 and travelpye like this.
  3. rxgeek

rxgeek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Hotel Indigo Paddington during the Olympics. I thought it was a great location. It was just a block from the train/underground station.

travelpye and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kensington is an okay location. I personally prefer Knightsbridge. No matter where you stay you will have to take the underground to see some of the tourist locations, so it probably is not overly important where you stay as long as you have underground access close by. Don't miss the tower of london and crown jewels while you are there. One interesting museum that many people skip is the London Dungeon. I personally think it is worth seeing if you have the time.

travelpye likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like your closest Tube stop is Earls Court. I've walked around there before and recall a lot of ethnic eateries and budget hotels/B&Bs. You're one Tube stop away from Kensington High Street which has a supermarket, department stores and shops, as well as some pubs that serve food. You're also one stop away, on a different Tube route, from Gloucester Road, which is walking distance to the Natural History Museum which is very popular, and a little further up is the Victoria and Albert Museum.

I've stayed at both the Paddington and Tower Hill locations.

Paddington has a good selection of restaurants along the block with reasonable prices (Greek and Italian come to mind), and a number of Tube lines run through the adjoining Paddington station. Inside the station there are two small supermarkets and an assortment of vendors selling everything from Paddington bears to coffee.

Tower Hill is in the financial district and is pretty quiet at night, though just a 10 min walk to Tower Gateway Tube and the Tower of London/Tower Bridge. It's a 5 min walk to the closer Aldgate station but I found more frequent train service via Tower Gateway. There's a huge Indian restaurant across the alley, and a couple pubs on the way to Tower Gateway, but otherwise I found it a pretty dull neighborhood.

If you're not familiar with Oyster cards for transit I'd suggest you read up on them, particularly if you're going to be there more than 3-4 days. I bought a 7 day card when I was over in July and loaded it on my Oyster card. You could get daily travel cards as an alternative, good all day on weekends and after 0930 on weekdays. You'd most likely be in zone 1-2 for major London attractions. You do not want to buy individual Tube tickets as you'll be charged about twice the rate you'd get with an Oyster card on pay-as-you-go.

travelpye likes this.
  6. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you each for your helpful comments and information! We had hoped to be close as we can be reasonably to some of the main sites if for no other reason than my arthritic knees would thank me for reducing the number of times I need to use the stairs coming in and out of the tube.:) I had looked at Hotel Indigo Paddington, and would have booked it instead, but the points required were higher. I had been deciding between Hotel Indigo Kensington and Holiday Inn Kensington as they were at same PC point "price." Trip Advisor had a number of unflattering reviews of the Holiday Inn, though.

Anyway, thank you for all the input. I will continue weighing pros and cons. But at least we have something booked for part of the stay.