Hotel Indigo Houston Galleria

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Clocktower, Oct 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I recently stayed on points at the Hotel Indigo in the Houston Galleria area. It was a great stay and here are our impressions. I think it's important to document that not everyone views the Maldives and Kuala Lumpur as the minimum options for a getaway. :D

Plans: No plan survives first contact with the enemy. We live in Houston, and for this weekend we had intended a one-night getaway to Dallas. However, our plans there fell through, but we decided since we still had the free time, babysitter, etc. in place, why not spend the time in our own city? It would also save us a brutal drive, and we could have some much-needed 'couple time' (we have a toddler, ahem).

I was delighted to find I could cancel our existing Dallas reservation (on points) up until 5pm the day of (I did so the day before).

The question was, where to stay? There's a new HIEX in Katy (very close to us), but they couldn't guarantee a non-smoking room on a reward booking that soon (in this day and age!). There's also a new HIEX in the Westchase area, which had King Suites available for the regular points price, tempting. However, I'd never stayed at an Indigo property, and was eager to, so it won the day. Besides, if I was lucky I'd likely get upgraded to a King Suite anyway the next time I stayed at a HIEX. ;)

Location: For those that don't know, the Galleria area of Houston is named for the Galleria Mall, a very large (and healthy) mall. It's an upscale area of town, with lots of restaurants and shopping, upscale mid-rise apartments and townhouses, but without the parking problems prevalent in downtown Houston. We used to live in this area of town, but that was many years ago, and it's built up a lot since then.

Welcome: We spent the morning doing a lot of shopping and having breakfast and lunch in the area (contact me for recommendations ;)) , so by 2:30pm we were ready for a nap. Check-in wasn't until 3pm, but I figured if they didn't have a room ready we could relax in the lobby. Check-in was very quick and pleasant, the desk agent greeted me as a Platinum member, and informed me that my King room had been upgraded to a Corner King Suite, nice! Also, my 'goody bag', w/bottle of water, snack mix, and 3 musketeer bar. Among the best welcomes I've received to an IHG property.

I should point out that PC has often (rightly) been criticized for not being as 'on the ball' with upgrades and recognition of status while people are on reward stays, but I must say that based on my two most recent reward stays (Here and Intercontinental Dallas--review to come soon), they are making a major effort to correct this. I'm pleased to see this and it makes me glad to be a member.

We headed up, and I noticed the hallways are very wide, like 12' in some areas. It makes for a nice, open feel. The entire hotel is done in green and blue pastels, and white, soothing.

We arrived at our room, and wow! It was bigger than many of my apartments, and better decorated too. :p I'd estimate over 600sqft. Playing off the 'Nautilus' emblem, the decorative theme is a beach motif--mostly (you'll see what I mean). The Corner Suite comes with a large living room (a true living room, not just a 'seating area'), master bedroom, and huge bathroom. Lots of furniture, in the living room: a pull-out loveseat (linens in the TV cabinet), two easy chairs, coffee table-lets, cafe table and chairs. Bedroom: King bed, easy chair, ottoman, bench, desk and chair. The kitchenette featured a minifridge and coffeemaker, but strangely no microwave (although we didn't need one this stay). They claim wood floors, but it's actually laminate. My wife said "I could live here!"

Pics:

First look.

[​IMG]

Kitchenette.. the many cupboards are all totally empty.

[​IMG]

Bedroom. Notice the wall graphics.. blueberries? Not exactly beach, but interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bathroom, with a shower big enough for you and four friends (bow-chicka-wow-wow).

[​IMG]

In the morning we ordered room service for breakfast (which I can't resist on a reward stay). My wife got the spinach and tomato omelet, which was great, stuffed with fixings. I got the apple and Gorgonzola omelet.. it seemed like they skimped on the filling. I got only a little bit of cheese, and the 'apple' bits were tiny, stingily sprinkled on top. I know cheese is expensive, but apples are cheap, folks. Both came with croissant, potatoes, and a strawberry. Plus two OJs (in a bottle, not fresh) and tip put us at about $34. Ok, but I wouldn't get that omelet again.

Summary:

Pros: Great part of town, especially if you're new to Houston. Free parking on-site (not all hotels in the area offer this), and unlike most places in Houston, you can actually walk to a lot of different restaurants/shops from here, including the Galleria Mall (one block away). A great introduction to the city.
    Great decor, great atmosphere, friendly staff that really make you feel welcome, and take care to recognize good customers. Great value for the money (either points or real money).
    Complimentary (and strong) wifi, this is always appreciated (do you hear me Intercontinental?!).

Cons: No microwave, ancient flatscreen (NOT flat-panel) non-HD TVs, cable box. Didn't matter to us as we only were there to relax, but still. Restaurant seems a bit uneven. Decor seemed bare in spots, but that's an easy fix. (you can tell how hard I'm grasping for Cons here).

Would I stay again: Absolutely. I plan on recommending it if friends stay from out of town. Clean, comfortable, stylish and friendly.

spesalvi, man on the move. and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gorgeous property and in a gorgeous location! Many thanks for the insights and wonderful photos!:)

3. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    you must live in GreenTrails? or pretty close by...

uggboy likes this.
  4. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    If not KL or the Maldives, Phuket?

uggboy likes this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed at the Hotel Indigo Galleria this week for work and it was a great stay. It is a very nice boutique hotel both inside and out. The location is very convenient to many things to do in the Galleria area.... although the weather is already too hot to just go wandering around on foot. Looking forward to another stay and getting my first $50 rebate for this past week.

6. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. Been curious about that one. Cheers!

7. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    I just discovered the Indigo in Waco. It mirrors most of what you say here except they are not forthcoming with the upgrade. My company has a corporate account which guarantees a max room rate. Maybe the reason for no upgrade but I do stay there once a month minimum.

The one drawback, and it is not a small one, it is across the street from a homeless shelter and panhandlers, who are not shy, roam the parking lot. No problem when I am alone but big problem when my wife accompanies me.