Hotel incidentals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know there was a discussion over at FT a while back about hotel incidentals, how there doesn't seem to be a standard even within hotels in the same chain.

Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been recently at different chains, luxury hotels, using credit cards vs. debit cards, etc.

I figure it's one of those things the traveling public runs into and it's just taken as a fact of life.

2. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite sure what you mean by incidentals and how there's no consistency.

3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the question ... what about the debit vs credit? How much they hold on the card? If its accepted? Or ....

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not so much a question, more of a discussion on what your experiences have been at different hotel brands.

For example, most hotels will put a substantial -- and sometimes seemingly random -- hold for several days if you use a debit card to cover incidentals at check in. If you use a credit card that hold is sometimes either reduced or non-existent.

Sometimes at HI/HIX hotels I get no hold if I pre-pay, sometimes I do, depending on the property, etc.

Just wondering what everybody's experiences have been.

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That makes more sense ... unfortunately I don't pay attention. I know I used a debit card for an international location recently and they told me a $ amount per night that they would apply which was fine with me.

6. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only use my credit card for hotels as my debit card only gets half-miles on non-US ticket purchases.....;)

Anyway, at HHonors properties of all types, I have not seen any holds.

7. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

FirstClassQueen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I
    I
    I
    I only use Credit Card at all the hotel Properties I stay at and I have never seen a hold on a pre-pay.

8. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always use credit cards everywhere due to the security that is provided by the credit card companies. I am always queasy about using debit cards due to the fact that all charges (including fraudulent ones) hit my bank account almost immediately. I agree that debit cards also provide guarantees against fraud, etc, but this is still after the fact that the charge hit my bank account. I guess, it's more of a physiological reaction too...

lin821 likes this.
  9. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    My sister and I had this discussion. She only uses debit...no credit card. It is always very stressing when she travels because there is no standard on what type of holds they put on her card. Seems like every trip she has some problem with high holds...or double holds etc. She took a road trip from Chicago to San Diego and back. It was a nightmare with hotels placing holds and not releasing them for days. No standards it seems whatsoever... I only use credit cards. I don't mess with debit cards AT ALL. I use my credit cards like a debit card. More rewards that way!!

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it's definitely safer to use credit, plus if some unscrupulous person decides to skim your card (since you're from out of town) it's easier to dispute the charges.

But I'm curious why there is no standard for holds -- or at least there doesn't seem to be. It would make sense to me that they should hold a percentage of your rate per night or something, but it seems to be completely random.