Hotel hopping in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be also be visiting Shanghai in a month or two on business by myself and intend to take advantage to maximise my SPG stays -normally if I travel with my wife she won't let me change hotels more than once every few days :rolleyes:

Are there any good mattress run pairs/combinations? I am not too bothered about nice hotels, just cheap and easy SPG stays (walking distance would be fantastic) ;)

I'm a newly minted Plat, in case that makes a difference :D

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a bunch of Starwood properties in Shanghai. A first step might be to try to locate them on a map.

Where do you need to be in shanghai? Would Pudong work?

3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a map is going to come into this at some point :)

I am not entirely sure where I am going to be in the city (I'll be visiting various places). For now, central with good transport links sounds good.

I was just hoping somebody in the know might be able to save me some time by pointing out the amazing adjacent cheap hotels at _____ ;)

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi sendaiben. Shanghai is quite a spread-out city and traffic can be a real challenge at times. Where do you need to stay? If you want the most hopping opportunities with the least stress- it has to be in Pudong- although I would rate Shanghai as one of the cities where I would really just rather stay put.

sendaiben likes this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some easy hops include the newest Sheraton and the Westin Bund, both on the #10 metro line about three stops apart. Meridien is a short walk from the Westin Bund, or take metro line #2 (Green) to line #10. Easy walk across the street between Sheraton and Four Pts Pudong. St. Regis is a bit out of the way in Pudong, but walkable from metro line #2. (Traveling at the moment so can't be more specific but a check of the Starwood booking page can ID exact property names and locations.) Still think Meridien is best located property for first-time visitor to Shanghai.

From NYC, TRAVELSIG and sendaiben like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are working in Pudong I completely agree that LM has a wonderful location. I also really like the location of the new Andaz (for those of you who are also Hyatt people), and JW has more-or-less the same location as the LM.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously, though I was more speaking to non-business visitors since Pudong is a vast wasteland other than the Science Museum and the Pearl Tower area at the tip.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Referring to the OP point that he was travelling on business. Getting through the tunnel in the morning by car can easily take >30 minutes. Of course I agree with you that the bund side of the river is much more interesting for visitors (unless they have to work in Pudong).

9. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be visiting universities, but not sure which ones at the moment :rolleyes:

I'll post back once I know which ones/where they are :)

10. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’ve done the Meridien-Westin Bund one-night stands a few times in all kinds of weather. Usually walk it in about 10-15 minutes. If pouring rain, a taxi, so cheap in Shanghai, has been the way. Certainly, the Metro transport options at LM are about the best.

Haven’t stayed out in Pudong, except for St. Regis and the Hyatts, so can’t comment on the Sheraton/4 Points connections.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just walk across the street...

12. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that’s certainly easier than the Westin/LM walk.:)

But they are in a different part of town.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fudan is on the Bund side but quite far from the river. It's near a new shopping mall and the new subway line to the Bund, which also passes another university, I forget the name. There's a local hotel right on the Fudan campus for their visitors and conferences. On the other side of campus, far from any subway, is a quite nice looking western hotel, IIRC Crowne Plaza. Continuing even farther, there is a pretty decent Howard Johnson which is a few blocks from an old elevated subway line. All of this is beyond the usual tourist maps.

14. Hi...I agree with canadl he had given the wonderful information regarding hotels, and i have also gone through many times for shangai but some hotels only i would preferred as for the cheap rates like, Jin jiang pine hotel which i reside frequently located at Xuhui, Ramada purod airport just stayed overnight just i payed a low price, some of the tips which helps you to go for the cheap
    1.Start the search early. Just as you would when reserving tickets for a trip, beginning your search for a hotel early will allow you to make a choice without the typical worries.
    2.Configure your stay. Try to find out when a hotel has a lower attendance because this will mean they will offer lower prices.
    3.Some businesses offer a lower rate for using their online booking or call in reservations that they do not offer to walk-in customers.
    4.Hotels will not likely offer these freely without inquiry, so be sure to speak up.
    Hope you have the great trip enjoy...

15. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If reliable/decent internet speed connection is important to you, do not stay at the Westin. LRM has a much better in-room wifi and/or wired connection, while the one at Westin is extremely slow and unreliable.

16. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points: