Hotel Hits the Market : Essex House NY for Sale!

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel Hits the Market ;)

SOURCE: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577275681615099116.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Kalboz and sobore like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that a number of rooms have been sold off as condos- I don't know how attractive of a sale this will be now.

I stayed here when there was a Starwood connection- if you get the right room (i.e. with a nice view of CP) it is very nice- however that holds true for the Pierre, the MO, the Trump, the RC....

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ........who are all consistently more expensive!;)

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. vermeerusa

vermeerusa Active Member

Status Points:
    I see the Hotel from my office window and it looks like the mid 10 floors are in state or renovation or closed. Chairs, curtains and furniture are all over the place.
    I always liked the lobby and it is a great business breakfast room

uggboy likes this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The room rates have been below market under the Jumeirah brand. I have to believe that when it is reflagged under a brand that is more familiar and comfortable to USA and European travelers that rates will rise.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's surprising, because in all or nearly all other markets in which Jumeirah operates it commands the some the worlds highest overnight rates anywhere from their Burj Al Arab property in Dubai, Jumeirah Rome Via Veneto or in the Maldives to Frankfurt! In Spain they opening the most luxurious hotel in the country on the island of Mallorca wich can achieve high season rates of up to 1000US$ a night, while in Istanbul they manage the famous Pera Palace hotel!

I look forward to news about the new owners of this hotel, a famous hotel, the Essex House NYC and we will see what the " new " rates are!

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the one hand, Jumeirah's hotels in other markets may be positioned higher compared to other hotels in their markets; and on the other hand, UAE is certainly closer and likely sends more clientele with familiarity of the Jumeirah brand to Europe than to USA. I'd estimate 98% of U.S. business travelers have never heard of Jumeirah, and they have virtually no U.S. loyalty program members, whereas they have more penetration in Europe.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this mean Jumeirah has given up on the US market with selling the Essex House and concentrate on Europe, Middle East, Asia instead or has the company a plan to expand again in the US but with the right properties and the right message for this particular market?

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can usually get a room in Shanghai for 1500 RMB or less which is 50-75% less than the Park Hyatt.

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I wrote in " nearly all other markets "..........usually they are in the top overnight rate category in many other locations!

11. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I say good riddance. Whatever it turns into, I hope the new management and service are better than the current. I'll never stay there again as long as it's the Jumeirah. Stayed there once and the front desk staff screwed up, assigned another family to our room, and they used their key and walked right into our room. That is a pretty serious screw-up, and inexcusable, especially at a hotel of that stature. But what made me furious, and made me decide to never step foot in that place again, was how the management handled the situation. I asked to speak to a manager, explained to him what happened, and he acted so disinterested, as if I was bothering him and he wanted to get back to his afternoon tea. He basically just said 'sorry,' and then went about his business. Very unprofessional, and definitely not what I was expecting with the reputation the Jumeirah has. If that happened at a FS or RC, response would be totally different.

dgreen12 and uggboy like this.