Hotel Help in Miami Beach

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by michael21, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Guys...So the wife and I are going to Miami Beach next month for a few days and were booked at the W south Beach. Last time, I booked a crappy room and we had to switch hotels so I was looking for a place in the 300-500/night range...

Very simple criteria: BIG room like more than 500 sf min. and view of the ocean so I think I'm good but I've read mixed reviews about the W south beach...Can someone suggest other options or point to me to a search engine where I can input "big room and ocean view" are requirements?

Thanks

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well there are more criteria to consider though... do you want beach access or just a view? Do you want South Beach or the general "Miami Beach" area? And any particular chain in mind?

The IC on Chopin Plaza has suites which are huge (albeit I don't know their exact size) and they're within your budget. The only caveat is they're on Biscayne Bay, so that's "far" from South Beach proper.

Same for the MO on that side of the causeway too... their Executive rooms are 500+ square feet and might ring around $500 a night depending on the time of year.

The Executive suites at the Four Seasons (again, on that side) are 700+ square feet and around that same price range.

If you want to be on the beach, or at least have beach access on the South Beach side, you can try the Bentley (Hilton), although you might need to bump your budget to go above 500 square feet -- their studios are 450/$500 and their suites are 800 sq. ft / $700.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at Loews Miami Beach?
    I believe they match your criteriea, not sure on price though.

viguera, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    South Beach itself will be more expensive than the places farther north, perhaps around 20th. There's some fancy real estate in between, but Sunny Isles has less expensive hotels. The tradeoff might be between location and other features or a basic room in a fancy hotel versus a junior suite or something large with a view in a less expensive hotel. You probably can't have anything at your price point unless you pick a time when hotels are pretty empty.

viguera likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you want to be in a hotel where you earn points? If you have some hotel points, have you explored using them to upgrade from a basic room, assuming that your rate qualifies? Do you have hotel status?

BTW, do you plan to book through the hotel or hotel chain (or something like AmEx PTS/CTS, Virtuous, Four Seasons Preferred Partners or whatever, etc.) or use some mass market site (Travelocity, Expedia) or discount website? There are tradeoffs here too.

viguera likes this.
  6. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:

I am booked at Bently Hilton Feb 2014 on points -- what do you think of the hotel? "if" paying cash how would you rate it overall ?, looks to me overpriced but! it is South Beach

viguera likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is absolutely overpriced but with the snow bunnies coming down to Florida that time of year, it's to be expected. The hotel is nice and you'd think the area was good but it's right next door to Nikki Beach, so you'll get noise on the weekends from the partying that goes on until 4-5am on Saturdays, then they have Sunday brunch so there's no letting up :)

Club Amnesia was 2 blocks away too last time I was around, and unless they moved you can expect traffic and noise on the weekends too.

It's not a bad hotel I would say, but it's certainly better if you're out there for the party rather than for fun and relaxation. And if you're with kids you definitely shouldn't stay there.

8. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about the Brandy New SLS south beach. If you join the frequent traveler club IPrefer, they have some really great discounts available.

viguera likes this.
  9. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    This from 6 stays at the W SoBE due to a friend working there - if you get a room on the South Side on a high floor and pay for it, you will have a very good stay. Anything else runs in to the thumping of the club that wasn't built to be a club, ie no sound proofing and lots of vibration and echo. Otherwise, see my recommendation above.

viguera likes this.
  10. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As of right now were booked through AMEX fine hotels for the 4:00 pm checkout and $100 credit. Seems like best deal so far-they do have the SLS but were currently booked in their room that's 800 sf. Should I leave well enough alone?

viguera likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you book through Virtuoso you also get the $100 credit but also continental breakfast daily for 2 guests in the Solea restaurant.

If you book SLS through Virtuoso you might get an upgrade, plus breakfast for two in The Bazaar, plus $100 food/beverage credit.

12. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the AMEX booking provides breakfast as well and an upgrade if available.

viguera likes this.
  13. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks --no kids-- not a party animal -- we live in a city now with many clubs around us -they go till 4-5 am -- get a little yelling now and then -- but not a real problem( hey-- i am 70 and a little hard of hearing )--- any special floor or side that is better than another?

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it will help really... the hotel is literally next door (well across the street on the North side) but if you want a room with a view that means you're getting noise.

bentley.jpg

uggboy likes this.