Hotel guests steal TVs, cigs machine and carpet

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/hotel-guests-steal-tvs-cigs-machine-and-carpet-3232671.html

A GUEST at a five-star Dublin hotel stole all the wrapped presents under a Christmas tree -- only to discover that they were simply empty boxes.

This incident is just one of many thefts recorded at hotels in Ireland and across Europe that ultimately adds up to €5,500 per hotel per year.

TVs, computers and telephones are all items that have been pilfered by guests.
    Even mattresses, lightbulbs and curtains have not escaped the burglary spree that has gone on throughout 2012.

And one hotel noted that an entire cigarette machine was lifted from the lobby before the guest checked out.

Carpet

According to a survey of 500 hotels worldwide carried out by lastminute.com, towels are the most popular item pilfered by guests, followed by toiletries.

Some 6pc of hotels reported losses of artwork, sculptures, heavy statues or antiques.
    "Some even developed enlightened enthusiasm to dislodge every single bulb in a room as reported by several hotels," the survey outlined.

A top end hotel in Istanbul reported that one guest emptied the entire room of its fittings and furniture, leaving only the bed, desk and TV behind.

One guest at a Las Vegas hotel took such a shine to the carpet that they cut it out completely and took it away with them when they checked out.

A Berlin hotel reported how one guest stole the stylish rain shower heads, hydro massage shower units, taps, toilet seats, interior plumbing and the sink itself.

Read More: http://www.herald.ie/news/hotel-guests-steal-tvs-cigs-machine-and-carpet-3232671.html

nmt12, LETTERBOY, violist and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Toiletries? As in those little shampoo bottles and soaps they put in my room for me to use? Am I not allowed to take what's left over or partially used? If so.... guilty as charged, many times.

violist, Flyer1976 and Sunshine7 like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing isn't it? We usually take " only " soaps with us from hotels as little " reminders "....love them! :)

violist and flyingdawg like this.
  4. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Likewise; I thought those were for the taking. Oh well, I guess I can now be considered a career criminal, seeing as how I've been guilty of this since I was around 12.

violist likes this.
  5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The sample-size bottles are yours. I'm betting that the article refers to more substantial
    offerings - retail-size or larger (like the shampoo dispensers in cheaper and/or hipper
    places). Reminds me of a sight that at the time perplexed me when I was staying at
    a resort in Hawaii - a bottle of some fancy-branded body lotion or something with a
    label that said that it was for sale for some outlandish amount, $30 or something; it
    was sitting there next to the usual little amenities. The funny thing was that the
    bottle had obviously been turned over by numerous pairs of curious hands: its label
    was in tatters, and it appeared that it had sat there for years unused but not ignored.

uggboy likes this.
  6. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might also mean the toilet paper and tissues.

I have also heard stories of people raiding the maid's carts if they are left unattended.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was staying at a fancy (by local measure) hotel in Kazan, at the checkout a cleaning lady came through the room carefully checking just about everything. As a silly Westerner (sorta) I asked what she was looking for. She said that they check that no one takes the sheets or the towels. I felt silly, since I did not even consider those as something to take.

8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't thought of that, but now I recall that one member of my
    club (in years long past) had been caught lifting the t.p. from the
    men's room. An odd behavior, as he was not the poorest member
    in an association with a largely affluent clientele. Also, I generally
    don't think of paper products as toiletries, but I suppose they must
    fit in that category if you stretch it a little.

Interesting. I was checking out of a hotel with my traveling companion,
    a fairly eminent and respectable FTMMer, and as we were loading our
    stuff into the taxi, someone came out and accused her of stealing a
    runner or something. I said, not likely, and they said, we need $5
    (or some outlandishly large amount for Cambodia), and I said no,
    and they said okay, we're going to search your luggage, at which I
    started taking it back out of the taxi ... when it became clear that
    I wasn't going to fall for their nonsense, they suddenly said, oh,
    housekeeping found it.

LETTERBOY and ConsultingChris like this.
  9. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that unusual. I have known a few high net worth people that take toilet paper and other sundries from places they shouldn't. Don't know what the motivation is, but I would assume that they got to where they are by scrimping and saving, so it is a way in their minds of protecting their assets.