Hotel guests read 6-12 reviews before booking, says TripAdvisor survey

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Feb 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel guests read 6-12 reviews before booking, says TripAdvisor survey

[​IMG]

satman40, Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not buy anything till I read the reviews, that said I do not believe everything I read

Flyer1976, MSYgirl and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, it's all about balance and consistency.

MSYgirl likes this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sometimes write reviews on Trip Advisor. Some are very complimentary, others not so much. A couple of times I point out real issues which both the hotel and prospective guests should be aware of. And if I do have issues, I usually tell the hotel first and give them a chance to respond before mentioning anything in Trip Advisor.

I'm amazed how few hotels I review care to comment, either personally or in public. They are getting what they deserve.

uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do this, too. Depending on the problems encountered, it's a great way to offer them the opportunity to 'make it right' or at least address the issues.

uggboy, Flyer1976 and blackjack-21 like this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    53% worldwide ? I think that figure is complete nonsense, would never believe that :rolleyes:

I provide Trip Advisor with a bit of free content from time to time but they are over-stating the value of their service

7. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guess that I had better get busy with my TA hotel reviews then.

uggboy likes this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too read and post on TA, and I've learned after reading many of the reviews, to take many of them with a grain of salt. Best to read a particular property's reviews back for a few pages from the most recent one's to see how they compare with the consistancy of gradings.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to write reviews on IHG whenever I stay and I am pretty honest.

If there's a major issue with my stay I always give the front desk an opportunity to set things right before badmouthing them in public. After all you can't really expect them to help make things right if they're not aware of any issues, it's not fair to them.

10. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have really gotten into the habit of reading reviews in the past year, before that I would most likely book a hotel based on blind faith, but now I make sure to ensure that there are a majority of positive reviews, all recent. If someone has given the hotel a poor review, and the review is over a year or two old, I would overlook it if the most recent reviews are all good! It usually helps me to see traveler photos which I think are important as 'stock/hotel' photos tend to give you a distorted image of what the rooms, hotel is like, only providing the best pictures! Traveler photos at least make me aware of what I have in store from an accurate POV.

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall, we find / found TA so far worth our time, it's all about consistency and access, plus reading between the lines. I like not only the reviews, but also recommendations about transport, which helped us a lot already, plus the real images people take during their hotel stays. In conclusion, I believe that TA is a valuable tool which helps to stay informed, when taken the right way.

colt245 and FetePerfection like this.
  12. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rely heavily on TA when researching locations to scout for destination weddings and even for my personal travels. When my client's have the budget to join me on a scouting trip, TA is generally the first place I start researching in new locations. I've had good success vetting the good hotels from bad this way and can't say it's ever led me astray.

blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.