Hotel Gov't Rates - eligibility?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thegrailer, Jul 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does the person making the reservation have to be the person with the gov't ID? So if I check in and my roommate is the gov't employee, can I receive that gov't rate? At which chains can this be done, if at all? [I believe one can do this with Hyatt???] I have the status and am the point collector so putting the room in the other person's name is a no go.

Cheers -

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many times, I find they do not ask for a gov't ID (I do carry it though), so I do not think it would be a big deal, especially if you're traveling together! YMMV

thegrailer likes this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be careful, I know of cases where people had booked rooms at govt. rate and got charged rack rate for not having an ID.

Also, govt. rates are set by locale and it's often possible to get deep discount rates that are much lower.

DTWBOB

thegrailer and rwoman like this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no interest in using a Gov't rate without an actual Gov't employee with me. I am just wondering if ID is asked for, and my travel companion shows the ID, will my rate still be ok.

Cheers

rwoman likes this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a YMMV situation. Technically, the person paying the room should be the government employee. Each hotel will set how closely that rule is enforced.

6. Andycat

Andycat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd echo DTWBOB's comments on being careful. At some properties it's not enough to have a gov't ID - you must be a gov't employee, civil service or military. I have a gov't issued contractor ID. Some of my cohorts with similar credentials made reservations at the gov't rate, for gov't related/authorized business travel, but the property wouldn't honor the gov't rate. They ended up paying the (substantially higher) rack rate.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You have to be really careful with how the rate is written. Some are vague and only require a government ID. Others are a bit more strict and, as mentioned above, require that the ID be issued to an actual employee of the government, so no contractors. I've seen a few rates that actually go so far as to state that you have to be a government employee with an ID that is traveling on official business (not sure how they prove that?). There are also separate rates for state government employees and federal employees at some establishments.

To echo DTWBOB, while I am a government employee (not a contractor) and have an ID, I do not book government rates unless I am traveling for work. I've always been able to get a better rate using non-government options.

To echo rwoman, in my 6 years as a government employee I have only been asked to show my ID while on a government rate once. I do use a government issued credit card when checking in though, so perhaps that serves as identification for most hotels.....

8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't seem to be the same trend for me. I normally book govt rates and often times, if available, it's cheaper. It all depends on where and when it is, I guess!