Hotel Fire (No injuries) ... Your opinion please ...

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Philphactor, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Additional Compensation Due?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2012.
  1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Link: http://goo.gl/Pe3WH

Around 7:30 AM Wed 9/19, the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Boston experienced a small fire in a generator room. With the loss of the generator and the power out, smoke alarms and other life safety systems were not working, necessitating the evacuation. The Doubletree Hotel was at capacity and 400 guests were relocated to the Hyatt hotel across the Charles River on Memorial Drive.

I had reservations for this one-night stay 9/19 to 9/20. I arrived at the hotel at approximately 9:00pm. I wasn't aware of the situation until I walked into the lobby, saw a few people standing around, and was informed by the front desk staff. Long story short, they took care of me by sending me to a somewhat local Sheraton at no cost to me. They also gave me $10 cash to cover the taxi fare.

As far as making sure I had a place to work/sleep that night, I am satisfied they did what had to be done.

But, as a HHonors Gold, I was disappointed because they didn't go above and beyond. They didn't find me alternative accommodations until after I arrived - and the process added another 45 minutes for me to get into a room. I would have appreciated a phone call to confirm my planned arrival, to let me know about the circumstances, and to make arrangements on my behalf at another HHonors property. By the time I had arrived, there were no HHonors properties with rooms available within 40 minutes. I wasn't able to take advantage Gold status (i.e. free internet, room upgrade, complimentary breakfast) at another branded property.

So, would you ask HHonors for some point compensation for this experience if it happened to you?

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not ask for anything, other than perhaps HHonors points credit for any non-refundable deposits that had been charged to my credit card, if any. I don't think you're owed anything else.

If they were at capacity and had to find rooms for 400+ people, the people who were actually on-site are going to get priority over everything else (or they should). I would imagine it takes quite a bit of time to find rooms for that many people. If you didn't get there until 9:00 PM, it's quite easy to see how all the Hilton rooms in the area could be gone.

3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a tea-pot fire in the Hilton London Hyde Park two weeks ago while I was there. We stood outside in the cool London night while firefighters handed out tin-foil like capes to people. After about an hour we went back in. We were able to stay in the hotel, so obviously not such an inconvenience as you had, but all I really cared about was safety. The hotel issued a letter apologizing profusely for the inconvenience - a little too much in my opinion.

In your case I'd probably ask for the # of HH points you would have earned since SPG points might not be valuable to you. I'd for sure ask for the night stay credit if I was going for status. In the case of true emergencies (little or big) I don't really think more compensation should be expected. Just my opinion.

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on the points/night credit, though I think your replacement room at the Sheraton also should have basically the same benefits, at least free internet and some sort of breakfast. While I don't feel extra compensation is called for in a true emergency at the same time I feel you should not be out of pocket by having to pay for internet, for example. I think Hilton should have negotiated with Sheraton for that.

IDGflygirl and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So much for guarantees of a smoke free room.

LETTERBOY and bigx0 like this.
  6. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fear I have to go with the group consensus; request for the points that you would've received had you stayed in your reserved room, but otherwise they did what was to be expected. We can't get too full of ourselves, or have too high of expectations, that just because we're HHonors Gold (or as in my case, IC Royal Ambassador), we should get preferential treatment in the event of a REAL emergency. By that, I mean if it involves large scale emergencies with hundreds being adversely affected, or life and limb are in jeopardy, we're all just regular people again. The real world couldn't care less for our loyalty status, and I'm certain that they were swamped with simply ensuring that all those affected would at least get a safe place to sleep that night. My two cents :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your opinions!.

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would.....

This is a variation of being walked and the last time it happened to me, albeit at a different chain, my first night of a two night stay was on them.

DTWBOB

9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a semi related note, 1 I am glad that no one was hurt and 2 that made for one of the worst starts to my commute ever since I needed to drive down cambridge st and into central square while they fire department was arriving.

I'm HHonors gold, can I get something for that ;)