Hotel Fee's!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DJP_707, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ehospitalitytimes.com/?p=47011 article on how hotels are trying to charge more fee's for extra's like the airlines do. How do feel about this? Personally I Hate fee's, Just tell me he total cost per night period!

I love how in the article the Hotel charges a fee and includes Internet, breakfast water etc..., then goes on to say that most business guests either are in a hurry or leave too early for breakfast, and most leisure guests sleep in to late to get the breakfast. So the hotel adds to it's profit margin, by making the breakfast benefit inconvenient for there guest. Nice touch!

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fees, fees, fees, this could be the word of the century.

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be nice, but savvy travelers should know to be on the lookout for this stuff regardless.

Fees aren't going away anytime soon. Hotels/airlines, etc. are not charities. They are for profit businesses. If people are willing to pay fees (and they apparently are, in spite of all the complaining about them), then why not?

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What shall a traveler do to avoid them? Not travel? [ Clever? ]

While I'm all pro business, but at a basis which makes sense to the guest and consumer.

Having seen hotel rates go up, plus new fees, this let's me wonder a bit and this incl. the attitude some guest / consumer show towards such businesses, giving them literally all the profits big business ask for and feel comfortable doing it.

5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you limit a company's ability to make money, then you stifle innovation, which means less people will start businesses, and the businesses that do exist will have less incentive to make improvements (of whatever kind). That doesn't make sense for anyone.

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not what I meant, it's not about innovation, it's about charging on the border of overcharging without delivering your mentioned innovations who help people / consumer in the long run, and let's face it, which innovation was that good that it helped people so much that the world we live in is really a better place regarding fees / inflation / take-overs / cost cuts / promises and on and on......? The thinking begins here and not with the 1% or make believe.

A hotel business is about rooms, marketing rooms, selling rooms and obviously the market will decide what to pay for a night, but the hotel business slides on quality / quantity and now the fees must help to recover / stop this slide.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way around fees these days is to be a top elite in a frequent flyer/guest program. As a Hilton Honors Diamond I pay no fees. Rather, I book the "cheapest" room in a property and then I can get upgraded ,even to a suite, with free breakfast (served 6:50-10:30 am), free internet, one free laundry service at some properties, executive lounge access where I get free booze and snacks all day. As a UA 1K, my upgrade opportunities to premium classes of service multiply with chances to get meals and beverages free of charge, luggage fees are waived, airport lounge access on intl trips, etc...

So, you might call the "fees" reverse Robinhoodism: those who cannot afford to travel a lot are paying fees so that those of us, who can travel a lot and achieve elite status as a result, can have the perks...

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I can see why people might be annoyed by the fees, they don't really get under my skin. Whether it's bundled or unbundled, you can still figure out what it'll cost you.

I see the price for a hotel, spend about a minute reading up on the property to figure out what I'd need to pay out of pocket in addition to the rate (parking? wifi? resort fee? etc..), add it up, and I know what it'll cost me.

It would be great if I didn't have to do the math myself, but overall it's not something I choose to stress about.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points: