Hotel fees start to rival airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

How do you know if hotels have gone too far with fees? When Jay Sorensen complains about them.

Sorensen runs a Shorewood, Wis., consulting firm focused on helping travel companies generate money through surcharges and is a self-described "fee advocate." But on a recent hotel stay in the Azores, he needed his shirts and pants pressed. A hotel clerk assured him that it could be done the same day.

The bill for ironing three shirts and two pants: $50. "I didn't know that I had just agreed to rush service -- and a big fee," he says.

"I know," he adds. "It's ironic."

It sure is. Hotels are eagerly following the lead of the major U.S. airlines, which collected an estimated $11.6 billion in fees in 2011, according to Sorensen. By comparison, the record $1.85 billion that the hotel industry earned through fees, according to a recent NYU study, seems laughably small. But the annoyances can be high, especially when a hotel doesn't disclose the extras. And the hotel business is trying to catch up to airlines.

As the spring break travel season gets under way, consider yourself warned. Your hotel may have a surprise fee waiting for you when you check out.

Read More:,0,78813.story
    8MiHi likes this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Hotels have more competitors than airlines, so it will be tougher for fees to stick when all they are offering is a place to stay. Where they have an advantage such as at a true destination resort then the fees could stick and multiply. What I object to are where fees are hidden and unavoidable. I expect that "extra services" will be where fees can be stuffed, but the experience with resort fees and mini-bar restocking fees are mixed and often create serious ill-will.