Hotel Fax Machines Living On Borrowed Time

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Feb 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thephuketinsider.com/hotels/hotel-fax-machines-living-borrowed-time.php

Remember the telex machine? The bedside control panel? When was the last time you used a hotel room telephone to call outside?

Maybe 2013 is the year that hotel room fax machines finally make their way into the dust bins of travelocity.

These behemoths were always an issue. Remember those blinking lights on all night long? Or the machine resetting itself at midnight?

Read More: http://www.thephuketinsider.com/hotels/hotel-fax-machines-living-borrowed-time.php

TRAVELSIG, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two weeks ago. Several times. Of course, that was abroad and I didn't want to pay roaming on my cellphone for local calls.

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    19th Century technology.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say I've ever stayed in a hotel room with a fax --- have I had to fax things to / from hotels? Yes, abeit not recently.

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ones you could hook up to and print, those were handy. I don't even have an office fax machine. (Ok, I have a multi-use printer that isn't hooked up to anything ;) )

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must really be a travel geek. I buy a local SIM card and use that in my unlocked mobile phone.

I actually have a prepaid US SIM active all year long, since I'm in the US often enough.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would have been a waste of time and money since those 3 or 4 free local calls were the only calls I needed to make during the three days. And my (unlocked) phone has unlimited "free" data roaming, so I never need a SIM for what I actually use the device for most.

8. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    2003 I think. That's about the last time I stayed at a Drury Inn. They allowed you to make free local and long distance calls and I would take advantage of it to converse my cell phone minutes.

9. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last Wednesday. First hour free for toll-free calls... No reason to use up cell phone minutes for a con call!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two weeks ago from Guangzhou- I dialed into a local number for a conference call- I would have used Skype but the internet connection was not very stable at the hotel so this was a perfect workaround.

I also sometimes use the FAX machine in hotel rooms- and as Bay Pisco Shark noted the multifunction units that you can print with and scan with are very useful.