Hotel Excelsior, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Naples Italy

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Sweet Willie, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just getting back from a recent trip to Naples Italy & the Amalfi Coast (as well as beyond to Salerno & Paestum)

I did not stay at this hotel, (although we did use the bathrooms & they were nice), I wanted to provide some context for someone considering this hotel for leisure travel to Naples.

Beautiful hotel, with views of the bay & Mt Vesuvius. Very nice to walk along the bay.

That said, I felt the hotel was in a very sterile/touristy area.

Mrs Willie is not one to pass on luxury but she also much preferred our hotel ( www.hotelpiazzabellini.com ) that was easy walking distance to many sights as well as markets/shops where we could grab a quick/cheap/good bite & maybe a bottle of wine.

Back in the day when I was crazed about points, I would have for sure stayed at the Excelsior and probably very much enjoyed the luxury of the hotel, but this time I felt we had a better stay to maximize our travel experience, not to mention our travel dollar.

uggboy, tommy777, Newscience and 4 others like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at this property and as a Plat a few years ago and got a wonderful suite upgrade and so have already booked a stay for the first week in October 2014. The location is fine and considered the "safest" in city and since we were/are planning to take the ferry to Sicily ( but I am not sure they are running that late in the year) its proximity to the ferry terminal is plus.

Another great plus will be a return to one of our favorite restaurant in all Southern Italy Ristorantino dell' Avvocato a short walk away.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    uggboy, Newscience and sendaiben like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    My opinion of this place is now somewhat lowered. Still a nice property and the view ( and service) from the roof-top bar towards the bay and the nearby castle is stunning
    Access by driving was a bit of a nightmare due to road construction blocking the turn-off from the major roads and some new one-way streets confusing my GPS...in any event that's not SPG fault.

What really pissed me off was a couple of less than stellar interactions with the front desk... primarily the manger on duty on the morning of checkout.
    My wife had called down the previous afternoon and asked for a clothes iron to sent up to our room to be told that flat out "does not do that" a pressing service was offered (at a cost, which we neglected to use)
    At checkout I politely inquired as to whether this was hotel policy.. if he had answered in the affirmative I would have moved on.. hotel makes their rules.. fine their place...their rules.
    Then he proceeded in a loud and pretty condescending tone " well you don't seem to understand ...that is the rule in Italy" At juncture I stated that I did not believe that statement to be true.
    Then he really got huffy.. at that point I found it necessary to remind him that I was guest there not someone just walked in off the street and walked away from him.

Rule in Italy or not we were able to get irons in our rooms at two Marriotts in Rome, the Hilton in Palermo, the Hilton Garden Inn, Matera and two independent hotels in Como and Montepulciano.

I believe SPG must very well have regretted having sending us a survey to comment on our stay there:).

sendaiben and uggboy like this.
  4. britinjapan

britinjapan New Member

Status Points:
    It is in fact a rule in Italy, however its Italy so not all hotels follow the rules. That said the front desk here has a typical superiority complex,

It is great once you can find it in a car !! The rooftop bar was fantastic, did not find it sterile, touristy ? Eh its on the waterfront in Naples ???

uggboy likes this.