Hotel Des Indes, The Hague Netherlands

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by VeryGoodPoints, Oct 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just completed a stay at the Hotel Des Indes in the Hague Netherlands. I'll have a full report on my blog in a few days, but thought I'd share some info

The hotel is gorgeous and in a great location in The Hague. I was able to get a special Anniversary Rate of 135 Euros a night for a standard room on Thurs, Friday or Saturday night - which is great because I've been following the rate and never saw it drop below 235 Euros a night for the two weeks I'm here.

I was upgraded to a Junior Suite which was really just a very large room with a king bed, couch, chair and awesome entertainment center. The bathroom was very large for European standards as well.

The hotel does not include breakfast for Platinum's but you can choose it as your check-in amenity if you wish. The breakfast runs 30 euros/pp. I went with the points since I figured I'd sleep in. Wifi is included for Platinum's.

The hotel restaurant is extremely expensive - bordering on absurd - and the service was horrific. So bad that I actually complained. Other than that, the other service at the hotel was great.

It's an incredibly beautiful property and I wish it was more reasonably priced so that I could spend more time there. I would recommend it if you have the chance - just go out to eat!

Lots of pictures here and detail about the hotel history: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/verygoodpoints/2012/10/22/hotel-des-indes-the-hague-–-hotel-review/

tommy777, Skye1, TRAVELSIG and 3 others like this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just stayed two nights on Cash & Points the end of August, 2012. Flew into Brussels and caught the train straight to the Hague. We loved the property; the service was exceptional. Location is great, right near the Escher Museum. We chose breakfast as our amenity, and it was worth it. The daily transit pass includes the city of Delft, so a day trip there is easy. Highly recommend the Panorama Mesdag. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panorama_Mesdag. We had read about it, and thought it sounded a bit kitschy. The concierge, however, recommended we visit. We walked from the hotel, and it was really a highlight. It's impossible to describe, but we would advise visitors not to miss it! Would enjoy returning to this property!!

Skye1, VeryGoodPoints, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    Ironically I just did the Panorama Mesdag today. My customer said we must go and so we did. You're right, it's amazing. I agree, I would visit the Des Indes agian, just not eat there!

uggboy likes this.
  4. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:

Stayed there a couple of weekends ago, and can only echo the positive comments seen on "the other board" and on various review sites.

The hotel staff are absolutely amazing. Always helpful, always friendly, always positive.

Each (regardless of role) make it a point to end any interaction with a guest (no matter how long/short the conversatoin) with the query, "Is there anything else I can arrange for you?"

The facility is beautiful, faithfully restored to the grandeur of days gone by. Each room is decorated just a bit differently, each with different fabrics. Each floor's hallway is uniquely done as well, and the tulips on the walls were all hand-painted by local artists. I'm 6'6", and the junior suite I was in had PLENTY of space. I rec'd an upgrade offer for 50 eur/night, to "guarantee" the type of room I would be upgraded to (as upgrades are based on availability), for which the hotel threw in another 2,000 points as a bonus for this. Not a bad option, as the hotel gets many dignitaries, celebreties, business gatherings, tour groups, etc. I arrived at 10am and was quite happy to drop off my bags and go explore to return later for check-in, but the hotel had managed to have my room ready by then. (
    The location is convenient -
    From Amsterdam - You can take a train from Amsterdam Shiphol or Amsterdam Central to Den Haag CS/Central Station.
    From Rotterdam - From the Rotterdam airport, one need not go into Rotterdam central. Take the 50 bus (looks like a van) for a two minute ride to its next stop, the Meijersplein station on the E-line (Metro), and you're 30 minutes from Den Haag Central Station.

The location is excellent, in a square/intersection along a beautiful tree-lined boulevard, a ten minute walk from Den Haag CS, as well as any number of cafes, shops, beautiful parks/spaces within the city centre. A short tram ride to the beach (or an hour walk on flat ground if you're up for it and the weather's nice). As with the Netherlands, Den Haag/The Hague is a VERY bike-friendly city, and the hotel staff will happy arrange a rental for you, with ideas on all manner of short/long trips or areas to explore.

In chosing the "breakfast" option as a SPG Platinum amenity, one does indeed get the full breakfast buffet. Was told that it's just something they've decided to do for their SPG Platinums chosing this amenity (rather than a strictly "continental breakfast"). I'd normally take the points and eat out somewhere if the hotel doesn't have a club lounge. BUT, in this case, the breakfast buffet is worth considering. Served until around 10:30, so one can still sleep in a bit. It's massive, quite a variety of all manner of hot/cold offerings. And, unlike a lot of buffest where large quanity and vairety can mean industrial taste, nope, the food was absolutely delicious.
    (The Escher Museum is indeed just across the street, and a don't miss, even if you're not a huge Escher fan. A lot of interactive exhibits for all ages. One of their staff, Niels, has great stories to tell about many of the works on display. )

I'd absolutely stay there again. Again, what just makes this hotel great is its amazing staff team. Rarely will one find a team so committed to providing such a high standard of positive, professional service.

tommy777 and uggboy like this.
  5. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it's "done" to reply to an old topic, but whilst using the search functionality I came across this topic. I managed to book a superior room at this hotel for only 89 euros a night for a stay in October. Great deal if you ask me :)
    Nice to see the good reviews here, looking forward to our stay there!

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a great time. We've been trying to arrange a trip back. Go ahead and take a side trip to see the Mesdag Panorama if you have a free half-day.

7. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip, we'll definitely have a look around.

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the property twice in the last year and I absolutely love the place. Very small and intimate property, great location and staff.

Also got a Junior suite on both my stays without even asking, big room, Onkyo docking station, free water and welcome chocolate amenity. Bathroom was divided in two with the head across the hall due to the shape of the old building, big bathroom with huge shower and two separate shower heads.

I had the good breakfast and for the other stay, I was leaving really early, but the receptionist fired up the Espresso machine and prepared a coffee for me.

Parking right out front for 36 Euro, semi valet, the doorman parks the car for you and brings it around. Only 30 minutes to Schipol airport with a car

Can't wait to go back

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there twice last year. Their junior suites are highly variable. The first stay I got a good one as a free Plat upgrade. For the second stay, as a returning guest at the property using a SNA, I got one that wasn't nearly as nice, with only a tiny window almost on an air shaft.

10. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    We absolutely loved our stay, got champagne on arrival because of my girlfriends birthday. Loved the executive room we had and found a great Mexican restaurant, Kua Mexican Kitchen, run by a guy from Monterrey. I wrote a review about the hotel the other, you can find it here http://ikvliegveel.com/des-indes-den-haag/

It's in Dutch though but there always the translate function of Chrome ;)

tommy777 likes this.
  11. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    I love the history of this hotel:

The hotel was originally built in the early 1800’s as an estate for the Baron van Brienen. He planned to use the palatial property to host grand parties. Upon the Baron’s death in 1863 his eldest son inherited the estate and sold it to a hotelier.

In 1900 all rooms were equipped with a phone, an intercom system connected with the reception, washing stands that had hot and cold running water and a bath tub. In 1902 a hydraulic elevator was built which worked on the pressure of the water. The hotel has developed a legendary guest list and on the first floor displays photographs and signatures of many of those guests. Among those guests are the Empress Eugénie of France, Mata Hari, President Theodore Roosevelt and Josephine Baker, who rented a separate room for her monkey. One of the most famous stories was that of famous ballet dancer Anna Pavlova. In 1931, she arrived to The Hague from Paris by train. The train had been involved in a severe accident and Pavlov offered assistance to her wounded fellow travelers. Following the accident she caught pneumonia and two days later, she died in Hotel Des Indes in a room on the first floor.

During the Second World War, the hotel was used not only by German forces, but by Jews who were in hiding. Long before the war started, the hotel manager built a pigeon house on top of the hotel. When the Germans arrived, the hotel manger and his wife wanted to escape to England. She was shot and did not survive. The pigeon house served as a hiding place for Jews. The irony was the both the German soldiers and the Jews ate the same pigeons cooked by the same people. After the war, American troops settled into the Hotel Des Indes including Eisenhower, Churchill and Montgomery.

It is said that the hotel “do not disturb” sign was first used at the Hotel Des Indes when a member of a visiting royal family hung a feather outside his door to indicate that his servants should not enter the room.

12. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noticed on my Awardwallet account earlier that I had an extra 1000 SPG points all of a sudden, according to my SPG account it's a property promo bonus from Hotel Des Indes? Would this be because of a stay I had there in October?
    Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 19.20.43.png