Hotel de Crillon to close for refurb

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel de Crillon to close for refurb:)

Seems like that the "old" guard of grand dame hotels in Paris feeling the heat from the "new" guard of grand dame hotels!;)

SOURCE: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/hotel-de-crillon-to-close-for-refurb

IMHO, the Peninsula opening is the most anticipated opening next year in Paris, this is also the first Peninsula hotel in the whole of Europe. A lot will be expected from this hotel, I have read somewhere that rates will begin @ 1000 Euros a night!

doc, Switch2 and Kalboz like this.
  2. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hard to believe this will be the first Peninsula in Europe...

uggboy likes this.
  3. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    when I was there last year they were working on the facade... on our 3rd night got a notice that their aircon will go down... open the window for air!

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will in another building, look forward for the first Peninsula in Europe!:)

jetsetboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The really know who to keep things simple!:)

jetsetboy likes this.
  6. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes! I'll have to save a lot of pennies though, lol.

uggboy likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A 1000 eur a night as an opening rate for a standard room? Wow...

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Bristol, [ A Dr. Oetker Collection, Masterpiece hotels ] has gotten on this game too, over the past few years it has upped their overnight rate for their standard room offering from average 730 Euros a night to just over 1000 Euros a night, 1030E to be exact.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pass on my side at this point.

jetsetboy and uggboy like this.
  10. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I wish I had stayed there years ago when a travel agent recommended it to me. At that time it was "only" about $400/night

uggboy, doc and TRAVELSIG like this.
  11. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the Bristol is a truly fine place, IMHO.. absolutely love "The Restaurant", reason enough to stay there! ;) BTW, that rate, 3 yrs ago, sounds VERY good .. seemingly remember their asking about that over 10 yrs ago .. Of course, The Restaurant will run you about that as well.. LOL .. Their newer, more relaxed bistro style restaurant, 114 Fauberg, is also reportedly quite good, although I've never had the pleasure myself! Have a good one! :)

jetsetboy and uggboy like this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This rate sounds impossible to find today!:confused:

jetsetboy likes this.
  13. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that actually was over 10 years ago when the rate was that low. Too bad I didn't get the chance to experience it. Of course, they've probably renovated since then, so who knows if it would have been the same experience back then that it is now.

doc and uggboy like this.
  14. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! However at the time (over 10 years ago), the $400 rate seemed very expensive to me. Funny how prices are so relative. Now that would be an absolute bargain!

doc and TRAVELSIG like this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a very good point.

For example, I remember paying $4500 CAD for a RTW in J in 1998 and thinking it was very very expensive (published fare BA/TG/CP: YVR/LHR/BKK/HKG/YVR). Today that would practically be posted on the mileage run page.

On the same trip, I stayed in a very nice suite at the Shangri-la in Bangkok and it was ~170 CAD a night in the Krungthep wing. Also the PEN in HKG for <2500 HKD a night (about what parking costs now).

Now I am starting to date myself....

Yes- kick yourself for not getting the $400 room- of course if you really want to kick yourself- pick a stock (i.e. Apple, Inditex, etc) and see what would have happened if you had pruchased $400 of shares in 2000 and re-invested until now.

Cheers!

Travelsig

doc, jetsetboy and uggboy like this.
  16. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL! How true! That fare would be crushed so fast the airlines would pull it. :p

Re: Apple, I did get in on the Apple game, albeit late. So to further kick myself, I'll publicly admit to thinking about buying AAPL back in '98, when shares were about $10 IIRC. I decided not to, and I don't need to say the rest... :( Can't complain too much though, because stock has done very well since I bought it two years ago.

doc, TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have fond memories of staying here for a lot less than $400 even. However, I once made the mistake of reserving a "deluxe" queen room which was old and ratty, with filthy worn carpeting and a portable TV perched on a 1960s type metal stand on wheels. It was shocking for a hotel of this category, although the old style bathroom was elegant and of reasonable size. That experience (although the hotel moved me when I complained) and changes in the restaurant (no longer open on Sunday evening due to Sunday brunch being instituted, loss of quality/innovativeness and hence stars and toques) have made me less of a fan recently.

I've always thought of the Crillon as the least expensive of the properties of this category in central Paris. I hope the renovations don't mess this up, but I am not optimistic.

jetsetboy, uggboy and doc like this.
  18. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as the afternoon tea at the Crillon doesn't decline, I'll be satisfied. :D Have never stayed there as a guest, but maybe one day...

uggboy likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a tea fan, but I once discovered that they offer a free early grab and go breakfast in the lobby of coffee, juice, and amazing croissants, maybe the best I ever had when they were slightly warm. It makes catching an early flight, and checking out long before 4pm, not quite so painful.

uggboy likes this.
  20. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love comparing the food and ambience of afternoon tea (or brunch) at different luxury hotels, and the relaxing ambiance at the Crillon was special. Plus people-watching is always very interesting at such places. At the Crillon there was a man sitting next to us by himself, so I struck up a conversation with him and he had quite an interesting story. Also gave me some tips on Paris that only locals would know. So for me, though I do enjoy the food and drink, it's more about the overall experience. Especially if it's at a place I've never stayed or can't afford to stay at.

MSPeconomist and uggboy like this.