Hotel Check-Out Procedures

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Morgan, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I called the front desk this morning to check out of my hotel, the friendly clerk said "You don't actually need to call. All that matters is that you're out of the room by noon." He spoke sort of like he was letting me in on a little secret.

It got me thinking about my experiences at other properties. The check-out call is never more than five seconds -- seemingly not long enough for the clerk to actually record anything in the system.

Generally speaking, do hotels even bother to track check-outs, or do they just rely on housekeeping to flag stragglers? I never check out at the front desk unless I need an updated folio, in which case they've got to pull up my account anyway, so I've got no idea whether they're also recording my departure.

Derek and jbcarioca like this.
  2. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they rely on housekeeping for the most part these days, of-course it'd be nice when you are doing a late checkout, that they actually inform housekeeping :)

Derek, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  3. sgkis
    Original Member

sgkis Silver Member

Status Points:
    the housekeeping part is something i can't agree more with. If i can afford the time, I always request for a late checkout so i can laze in the room after brekkie a little more. Many times, even though the request was granted, I get housekeeping asking to clear the room when my stuff is still all over the place. I always feel that i'm hindering their job/ routines when that happens.

doc, Exiled in Express and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I guess the real question is: Does one even need to check-out? I've always thought it was, at a minimum, a courtesy. But would the average guy/gal at the front desk prefer that I just take off?

Derek and jbcarioca like this.
  5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the bill is slipped under the door overnight, then at best I give the front desk my room number on the way out the door and leave the key card. I have been staying at an andaz where you need to check out each time to get the bill. Their process is fairly efficient so I don't usually mind the extra time

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure checking out is usually no longer needed. I still tell the front desk when I am gone, use video checkout or call. It seems polite. Probably makes no difference anyway.

Wurm and doc like this.
  7. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figure at a minimum it helps create a list for housekeeping to get started on for the arriving people.

Concerto likes this.
  8. If checkout is not needed, then why do hotels spend the money to put in-room checkout on the TV and leave notes in your room about options for checking out?

9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check-out is needed, but it isn't needed directly with the customer. So, if you just leave, the maid will let the front desk know, which will then process the check-out. When you present yourself, or use the TV, or whatever, it is an instant processing of the transaction, the front desk can then have an ETA for when the room will be ready, etc.

10. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same.. for 10+ yrs now, I've been made fun of, 'cause it's not technically necessay.. but I always, unless time simply does not permit it, do the same.. I've just been in the habit of handing in my key, saying thank you, and so on:)

Derek likes this.
  11. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    If leaving the hotel quite early I've always thought it helpful to let them know, just incase housekeeping want to make a headstart. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, and most of the times I just walk out. But I do get confused at 11/12 seeing a big queue of people checking out!

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You shouldn't get confused. A "paid" $0 balance folio current as to the time of check-out is nice. Sometimes one may want to pay all or part in cash. Errors on the bill? Maybe 10% of the time.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been in hotels abroad where at checkout, the front desk has called someone to inspect the room before they would prepare my final bill. IIRC, one was in Turkey and the room did not have a minibar, so I'm not sure whether they were counting towels or looking for damage. This was a 3.5-4 star hotel, not a dive at all.

14. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hotels I frequent are pay in advance and check out is when they make sure you haven't stolen anything! :D

wiredboy and sobore like this.
  15. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like the scratchy towels, cheap clock radio....come to think of it there isn't anything to take!

kwai likes this.
  16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably more like the TV remote control.

17. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one that never worked because the batteries were dead? :D

Derek and kwai like this.
  18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or to the TV that didn't have any English channels. :D

Derek likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once stayed at a JFK airport hotel where the previous occupants had stolen all of the window coverings. This was an L-shaped building and an entire wing could look straight (almost) into my room. Not the only problem and it wasn't my choice; an airline sent me here after most passengers on a packed 747 missed their connections.

Derek likes this.
  20. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    To avoid the annoying housekeeping knock when I have been granted late checkout, I do the following:

I always carry Post-It notes in my computer bag - I stick a note saying "CHECK OUT AT 4:00PM APPROVED BY FRONT DESK" (or something similar) onto the hang tag. Works every time. :)

Derek likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually take a piece of letterhead paper from the desk and write something similar, then make a tear in the middle of the sheet and stick it over the door handle, making sure that the paper doesn't keep the door from locking properly. It's worked everywhere except a W on a Sunday morning after a Halloween party, where they knocked at about 12:10 pm and I had a 4 pm checkout. Of course I complained after I was awake.

22. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I take advantage of the late check out benefit, I always check out in person. I've only had one member of the housekeeping staff knock on my door, I guess I've been lucky.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too sometimes like to check out in person when I've been given an optional discretionary late check out, just to make sure that they don't try to hit me with an incorrect late check out fee.

24. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    The above is another reason why I check out in person. I can see all folio charges before I walk off the property. This way If I receive any charges after the fact I can easily dispute them!

25. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually do it on the TV, or if that is not an option, I go to the front desk, so I can get a copy of the bill.

My funniest checkout was at the King David in Jerusalem, where I got a call at 11:35 am, asking, "Are you checking out or not?! When can we expect you?" Checkout was noon!