Hotel chains gear up for the fight to block personal Wi-Fi hotspots

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Counsellor, Jan 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wi-Fi access has become a staple of most major hotelier chains, offering an extra bit of connectivity for the beleaguered wanderer. But while hotel chains often charge a fee for such connectivity, tech-savvy travelers have gotten around using hotel-provided Wi-Fi by employing mobile hot spots to log on. Now a group of hotel industry companies has petitioned the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for the right to stop them from doing so.

Read more here.

Note that Google and Microsoft are weighing in arguing against allowing the hotels to do that.

MX, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems to be motivated by the earlier attempts to block the use of hotspots in certain Marriott hotels and associated convention facilities.

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what is next? Blocking cell phones so we have to use their landlines?

MX, blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like everything is possible now, as they say " when the balls keep rolling..."

5. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    No what is next is simply the greatest privacy invasion ever perpetuated on the American public.

Listen folks. When I walk into a car dealer or when I subscribe to a phone service, I most certainly do not consent to the monitoring of my traffic for your "business" purposes

And I don't accept that well I can go elsewhere, nor do I care to litigate the issue for umpteen years proving that I'm morally correct.

Get the heck out of my pocket. Isn't that what the crazy guy screamed in Malcolm X? lol

It would be one thing if it were a concerted effort with a defined goal like a military operation. This is just dumb stuff. Do you really care what shampoo I use?

And the answer is a Resounding YES, we care because we have nothing better to do . haha. F off Nazi punks

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But in many cases you do, without knowing it. "Connected" cars do just that, as do various apps on your phone which tie into where you are and what you buy. Yes, these tracking "enhancements" often can be turned off but few people are even aware of their reach, never mind how to disable them.

But I'm not sure where you feel the tie-in to tracking is for this hotel hot-spot thread. Do you mean if you use the hotel's internet facilities then they are tracking you? I suppose that's true to a degree, though using a VPN service could help, but if you use your own internet then isn't that just shifting the tracking from the hotel to your cell provider instead? Do you trust Verizon or AT&T more than Marriott or Hilton? Pick your poison or stay off the 'net.

7. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    There would be no other reason for a hotel chain to block private Wifi usage Other than they were interested in their "guests" while on their property using solely their access point. And the only further logical conclusion ( yes it requires speculation and can be academically argued whatever way you wish ) but the only OTHER further conclusion from a sane practical intelligent informed soul would be that they wish to be able to see what you are doing while on their property.

Can it be claimed that the use of a T M hotspot on DDY property interferes with a guest in the next room who is using a satellite feed? Sure you could argue it, but it just isn't true.

They are saying while on "Insert faceless corporation" property we wish you to use our internet. Why? Obviously because we own it and are interested in what you do on there.