Hotel Chain/Points Strategy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by FlyingBear, Jan 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to figure if my current focus and approach is the most optimal for my situation.

I am a somewhat frequent traveler for business at 30-50 nights a year. My main stomping grounds are Northern/Southern Europe and sometimes US. Since I don't always get to choose my hotels, I currently have points in the following chains:
    Marriott
    SPG
    A-club
    Radisson
    Hilton (through Amex)
    Priority Club
    NH

When I get the choice, I typically try to stay in Priority Club hotels, mostly because that's where I started and because there is one hell of an abundance of them. Stays are the main way I get my miles, although I juts got Priority Club Visa for the 80k bonus as well.

For people that have experience traveling in m regions, is there a better alternative for a chain? My end goal is to be able to get as many reward nights as possible. Upgraded dwellings (Which PC apparently doesn't really do) are not important for my reward stays.

Also, should I continue acquiring points in all the different hotel chains or just concentrate on a couple of the frequently visited ones and earn miles in the rest? thanks for the advice.

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think you have answered your own question. You say you don't get to choose the hotel normally and when you do you choose Priority Club hotels. As you said, they is an abundance of them so it works for you. Whenever you have the choice, you should, of course, try and concentrate your stays. When you stay at other hotels, you should acquire points for whatever hotel you stay at. Over time, points will build up.

Don't really understand your last comment about "earning miles in the rest". Most hotels will not allow you to earn miles in a different program. For the ones that do, only you can decide if you stay at that chain enough to warrant points in their program or if the miles are more valuable.

3. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stick with priority club, and miles to the rest ... that is what I'd do, no point having random points at each program when you really can't do anything with it in the soon future. Putting to miles might be a better idea even if it less valuable to do so.

When you are able to choose, stay at Intercontinental hotels, you might get invited for Ambassador if you have multiples stays there and have enough points.

flyingdawg, FlyingBear and Kalboz like this.
  4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't rule out Radisson properties (Club Carlson) in Europe if they are an option for you. In the US their properties (especially Raddisons) can be a bit hit and miss quality wise, but they are much stronger across the pond. Radisson is also in a growth mode and they've had some fantastic promos through their Club Carlson loyalty program in 2011. Club Carlson will also do a quick status match if you request it.

FlyingBear likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. I'll look at Radisson some more. If they come out with a credit card later on this year, that should make it even more interesting. My main opinion of them is based on lack of their hotels in US.

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    It just so happened that there is an abundance of the hotels I began staying with, I can't claim that I actually did any research whatsoever before making the plunge.

I think that's just in the category of "how little is too little?" I am not sure I'll ever get enough A-club points for anything, yet there they are...

My current plan is to try to pump up Radisson this year, as they cover a good portion (but not all) of the areas I travel in. And with a Gold status to match my PC Platinum in combination with all the promotions, I hope to at least get more free nights in the future. Next year I'll see what I will review it all again.