Hotel Brands Share Real Estate, Sometimes Uneasily

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Apr 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel Brands Share Real Estate, Sometimes Uneasily

[​IMG]

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the story notes, you can get a similar situation with different bands in the same family.

For example, in Munich the Residence Inn is in the same building as the Courtyard East, and they share a restaurant that is located in the middle with the lobbies and check-in desks separate to either side. For breakfast, RI guests eat free, and enter from their side, while Courtyard guests have to pay or be on a rate that includes breakfast or be a Platinum (or maybe Gold, too) elite, and they enter from the lobby on their side where they are checked off a list.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait till one tries to institute a "resort fee" in the same building as one without. Or one provides free wi-fi, but the "higher class" brand will charge $12.95 a day.

As the article says, it is a race to the bottom.

WilliamQ, gregm and uggboy like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is this a race to the bottom? :confused:

Different brands offer different amenities. And it is not at all uncommon to have different properties owned by the same franchisee and located in the same area but offering up their distinct benefits. Get the ones you want by booking in at that property.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

According to the article, when you have multiple properties at the same location with similar amenities and price point (think Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Hampton, Residence Inn, Courtyard, Four Points, Aloft, Element, etc) all working to attract the business dollar, then price becomes prime for the bean counters. Even if you prefer Residence Inn over Hampton, if your company says Hampton, you stay at Hampton. So the pricing becomes utmost for Business Travelers.
    On the other hand, for us leisure travelers, I love when the brands compete for my business and I can stay at W or Westin for what I would normally pay for LaQuinta.

That is the impression that I got from the article.

Counsellor and uggboy like this.