Hotel Beaux Arts not accepting points reservations?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by jfhscott, Apr 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, in advance of the upcoming devaluation, I wanted to burn a 7 night category 6 certificate from a travel package at the HBA, which is quite a value for a category 6 (and will go to category 7).

Revenue rooms in the "standard" (King, city view) are available, but no redemptions are available on line or over the phone.

I called the HBA directly to inquire, and they informed me that in the past "two or three days" they have stopped taking points reservations. Indeed, dummy reservations for slow periods indicate no points availability. I booked the JW instead, and it is certainly an excellent property.

Is it possible that they have suspended points reservations until April 8, when they become a category 7 hotel, effectively eliminating advance notice of the changes? If this is the case, this is a sleazy practice - to whom might I complain?

gregm likes this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I don't know to whom you could direct your complaint, you might get the same resolution by banging your head against the wall!! What good are points or certificates if you can't use them?

jfhscott likes this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I agree, if I understand things correctly, MR's policy is that if a "standard" room is available, it is available for redemption. I might be wrong here and confusing policies of different chains.

But I think, perhaps, that what is going on may violate the terms and conditions of HBA's duties in the MR program and that they have closed redemptions until they are reclassified to Cat. 7. If true, HBA is not playing by the MR rules, and MR should care.

gregm likes this.
  4. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you are confusing the SPG and Marriott programs. SPG does have a "last standard room available for award room" policy. Marriott does not. What Marriott has is their "No Blackout dates" policy. That policy states that there are no dates "blacked out" for award redemptions. A hotel has to offer at least a minimum number of rooms for awards every night of the year.

On a "normal" night a hotel has to offer a set % of their standard rooms for awards. That % is NOT 100% and Marriott won't tell us what it really is. Marriott Corporate will also allow a hotel a certain number of special nights where that normal % can be scaled back, but not to 0. (I think I remember reading over on FT that the number averages about 10-15 nights a year for most hotels.) But even for those nights, they still have to offer some award rooms.

Now there is an exception to the "No Blackout dates" policy and that is if an "event" were to contract ALL rooms for the hotel. That event can be a big one like the Superbowl, the NCAA Football Championship game or something similar. It can also be something seemingly small and unknown (i.e. a local tiddlywinks get together.) The key is if someone contracts with the hotel for ALL their rooms. When that happens, they have no rooms left for awards. (Note this is also one of the few instances that a Plat Room Guarantee wouldn't be available either.)

jfhscott and gregm like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I miss those 'tiddlywinks get togethers'!!

hhoope01 likes this.