Hotel bath/shower

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sfo1, Dec 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was putting new caulking around my bathtub/shower today, and was thinking about all the hotels I have stayed in that had some sort of mildew etc in the bath/shower. I would think that one maintenance person could keep busy the entire day re-doing those bathrooms where this is a problem. I can put up with most things in a hotel room, but mould around a bath/shower is really gross, and I think that most people would agree with that. A full time maintenance employee whose only job would be re-doing the caulking, I think would be a smart move on a hotel's part.

Sweet Willie and YULtide like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a particular chain you are staying at or just hotels in general?

I would make a generalization that the the lower price I pay for a room, the higher chance there is for mildew.
    Seeing as I expect to see it depending upon where I book, my bar is set low so I don't get upset as I'm getting what I pay for. St Regis I expect no mildew, Super 8 I do.

BTW, for my home caulk jobs there is a very cheap caulk tool with a v notch that strips the old caulk right out of the seam, and the opposite side of the tool contains three different silicon heads to smooth new caulk once you lay it down to make a very beautiful bead.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, thanks for the info regarding the tools, have them, they are very useful and makes the job so much easier. Also was speaking in general terms regarding hotels, and you are right about you get what you pay for, but I have stayed in some 3/4 star properties that could certainly use the mould clean up, even if it is very little.

Sweet Willie likes this.