Hotel advice wanted for NYC

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by Aktchi, May 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need hotel/area advice from NYC experts. My wife has to organize/attend two different events there on two consecutive nights:

Day1: Arrive at LGA. Cab to Hotel1. Settle in. Go to Mandarin Hotel (Columbus Circle) for Event1. Return to Hotel1 late evening.

Day2: Optional check out and transfer to Hotel2. Free much of the day; the only agenda is visit Ground Zero. Event2 in the evening at Rubin Museum (Chelsea). Return to Hotel2.

Day3: Morning visit to friends in Upper East Side and East Village. Afternoon, cab to LGA.

This is for her work. She will be reimbursed, budget is $400-500 per night. Ambience wanted is quiet inside the hotel. (Mandarin is over the budget and too close to "work". Before and after events, we'd like a little more privacy somewhere else.)

Questions:

1: Do we want to stay near Columbus Circle one night, and near Chelsea the next? Or is it more sane to pick one hotel and just stay there?

2. If one, which area would be best? By 59th street, 18th street, or split the difference and somewhere in the middle?

rwoman and Kalboz like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The areas are quite close to each other. No need to switch hotels. You can even walk if you want (I would walk that distance myself, and often do).

I would probably stay in the Columbus Circle area, or slightly east of there. That will give you easy access to Central Park and Times Square. Lots of hotels in that area including nice ones in your price range.

rwoman likes this.
  3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Checking quickly with a few hotel sites, the following seem available in an area close to and centered around 7th Avenue and 54th Street.

London
    Park Central
    Wellington
    Sheraton
    Le Parker Meridien NY
    Dream NY
    Moderne
    Hilton
    Jumeirah Essex House

Any obvious no-brainers or gotchas?

rwoman likes this.
  4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hudson Hotel is also very close - keep in mind the rooms are small, but i really like the vibe there.

If you do want to switch hotels. Two downtown hotels i'd consider, or visit during the ground zero visit. The Millenium Hilton has a nice breakfast buffet (great for hilton golds or an expense account), that has a fantastic view into ground zero. Keep in mind there is still some fencing and having an overhead view in, is quite nice.

The W hotel downtown has their Living Room bar overlooking Ground Zero as well. An interesting collection of things to see and do, a very hip vibe.

I would avoid the Sheraton and the Hilton in midtown (on 6th ave). Very convention focused and not special. For SPG points, i do like Le Parker Meridien, great lobby coffee shop/bar. Norma's (inside the hotel) has a fantastic brunch, but please make reservations in advance.

A bit further away, but still quite central is the Intercontinenal on 8th ave and 44th. New hotel, very chic and nice.