Hot Towel Service / Nuts

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by benolaa, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope with the merger they keep the Continental Hot Towel service with the large towels (I just got off a flight and each time its always very appreciated) and they keep the hot nuts from United as opposed to the cold cashews on CO.

ssullivan and loadera like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but actually I haven't gotten the hot nuts in a while. Maybe because I don't get upgraded very often on long haul flights (don't generally fly long haul either) but the last time I got hot nuts was when they were still serving meals on SEA-LAX (and I think it was a 320) at least 2 years ago. Is this an international thing only? I've been saving my miles and haven't upgraded on an intl flight yet.

loadera likes this.
  3. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO serves hot nuts in BF but, to my knowledge UA serves hot nuts on all domestic F flights that have a meals service and of course on intl J and F.

loadera likes this.
  4. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got off an F class flight RUH-CGK last week. No hot towel, just the KFC style foil packet of towelette. The flight was on SV, so I suppose I should be lucky just to get something.

I did get a proper hot towel on the return leg though

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes you want a bucket of hot wings.[​IMG]

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the UA hot towels are getting a bit ragged, and sometimes they are way too hot to handle. Maybe a little cooler with perhaps a smell of fresh mint or similar would be nice.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have still had meals service recently on some flights, and the nuts were in little cold packages. So not quite. Maybe I was unlucky. But like I said, things may be different on SEA-IAD as I usually don't fly at meal times and often fly something like SEA-DEN-BWI.

8. I've seen a few FAs on UA squeeze some lemon juice on them using lemons from the beverage cart. I believe the hotness of the towels is directly correlated to the hotness of the "hot water" from the coffee machines since I think the towels come dry and the FA just dumps of hot water on them (which explains why the towels on the edges of the tray are sometimes not as damp as the ones in the middle).

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the hot towels, of course when mentioned they are hot. I have gotten ones in the center of the platter that seem to be boiling hot and ones on the corner that were luke warm at best...

As for the nuts, not a big deal for me one way or the other, CO gives you a cold packet in Domestic First, but the do give the ramekin on BF service. Either way, frankly, it's not that memorable or something I think is really great, it's ok, but that's it.

10. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aargh... I hate the smell of mint! [​IMG] A hint of fresh lemon would be fine however. [​IMG]

11. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't directed at UA, because I love eating them as much as anyone, but when was it ever decided in the world that warm nuts were fancy/classy? I was at a nice steakhouse in DC last week and had hot nuts waiting on the table and I started thinking about this. I mean, they taste good, but ultimately, they're just nuts...

mht_flyer likes this.
  12. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nuts are not luxurious or anything like that for me, but it is a very good and healthy snack that I appreciate. It is nice having warm nuts in a ceramic ramekin rather than a bag of trail mix or wrapped junk food. The nice touch of warm nuts is like having glass cups rather than plastic cups a la US Airways.

Just a nice touch for me, but I don't drop down to the floor in awe when I am served warm nuts :p

13. no the plane will stink of mint..... :(
    And help keep the hot nuts!

14. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always figured the FAs nuked a tray of wet towels that had been sprayed with something to make them smell nice to heat them up and make them smell good. The towels can be a bit ragged as they are not made from a high-quality terry cloth, but the warm towel is always appreciated. The warm nuts are a nice touch that is reasonably simple to provide.

15. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think hot water is poured over the towels to create the effect. Also, the towels wouldn't be 'nuked' as there are no microwaves on airplanes.

16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least there are no peanuts or hazlenuts in the nut mix, not that I don't like peanuts but I think the other nuts are a little better quality.

17. MikeIAH
    Original Member

MikeIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yum.... Warm nuts... I always appreciate warm nuts and a hot towel. I'm just glad they have nuts. It's the one thing that's missing from the pc.

18. No you didn't.

19. Waterstrider
    Original Member

Waterstrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of us love the hot nuts in flight, but does anyone ever make them at home? It is so easy yet no one I know ever serves them "on the ground". (We tried it once - yes, served in little ramekins! Reminded me of being on a plane!)

WaterSki likes this.
  20. Hot nuts are disgusting. I love when they are too lazy to warm them!^^^^

21. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No nuts at all on offer SJU-IAD today. We did get very hot towels though.

22. Foil bag thing or no snack at all with your drink?

23. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have also seen FA's use lemon juice on the hot towels occasionally.
    I have other thoughts on the dependencies surrounding the hotness of the towel, but for reasons of good form, lets just say that I've been getting tepid towels lately.

24. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the cashews! They have the right amount of saltiness. I've never had the hot nuts though so I can't compare.

25. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although they are good I get bored of one type of nut I like the mix of the hot nuts and they can refill if you want more!