Hot Sauce lovers, there's a new king on the block (according to LA Times)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Sweet Willie, Mar 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taste test of various hot sauces by a 3 judge panel, published by LA Times. One of the judges is Roy Choi of Korean BBQ truck fame.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-hot-sauce-tasting-20150224-story.html

spoiler alert, winner was Lao Gan Mai Spicy Chili Crisp sauce, which is not so much a sauce as a topping but man oh man what a glorious topping/sauce it is! I'm a sriracha sauce lover but the chili crisp sauce is a whole new ballgame.

Jars cost $1.99 at the Asian markets I shop at. Word might be spreading about this sauce as when I first bought a couple jars there was a whole shelf full of this sauce, when I went a few days ago, each market had only a few jars left on their shelves.

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am still partial to Marie Sharp's Habanero (silver) Hot Sauce from Belize.

3. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have a jar of that in our pantry that gets busted out everytime we have chinese takeout.

Last night, I tried some on top of my wife's chicken adobo. I like that it complements, not masks, whatever you're eating.

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    homemade adobo, you are a lucky man
    At work, one of my peers keeps approx 5-6 hot sauces that we all use & replace, kind of a communal condiment bar. I will try to find Marie's & add to our collection thanks for the suggestion.

Side note: when I brought a jar of the Spicy Chili Crisp, 50% was gone in 2 days.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I grow my own peppers and make my own hot sauce. Currently I am growing a very hot hybrid of the Jamaican Scotch bonnet, the chocolate habanero (from Guyana) and I have a few germinating seeds of the Trinidad ghost red ( these seem to grown very slowly and my previous attempt was not too successful)

As far as bottled sauces go my favorite is the Kutbil-ik , Maya version of the El Yucateco.