Suggestion Hot Deals forum

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by FrugalAsianMan, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be because I'm an avid Slickdealer and used to their terminology, but I would like to suggest that the MP admins create a Hot Deals forum under the Miles/Points category. I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated forum for this already. I believe this forum should encompass hot deals for both miles/points on airfare and hotels.

Currently you can do one of the following for these hot deals:
    1. Post it to the General Discussion | Miles/Points forum.
    2. Post it to the Mileage Runs/Mattress Runs/Travel Hacking forum.
    3. Post it to the forum specific to the category/program it belongs to.
    Here are my problems with the current options. I'll address them in the same numeric order as above:
    1. General Discussion is often cluttered with just about ANYTHING about Miles/Points. Too broad.
    2. Mileage Runs/ Mattress Runs forum should really be dedicated, in my mind anyway, to just great options to do MRs. Specific MR postings; not about promotions or hot deals.
    3. Program-specific subforums. My problem with this is that they're incredibly buried, and it's hard to get notified of a hot deal unless you're specifically following that forum. (First glance from the forums index, the new topic could be just about anything about the program...from booking rooms to which hotels to stay...not necessarily hot deals only.)
    Reasons for a dedicated Hot Deals forum:
    1. Allow MP community to streamline and headline great promotions and deals that are actively running across all programs.
    2. Cut out the clutter from the other forums mentioned above, by dedicating promotions/deals to the Hot Deals forum.
    If you agree with this suggestion, please like this post or comment in this topic to show your support. Thanks :) (If you think it's absurd, let me know why. I'm new to the MP Community so I'm not familiar with its history--if this has been done in the past and went horribly, etc.)

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of a single place to go looking and I agree that things are reasonably split up right now. What happens a week or month later when the deal is dead. Do the threads get moved/refiled? If not I can see the clutter problem returning, just in a different, consolidated location.

3. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I think it would just depend on how much involvement the moderator team wants to take on. It would be *ideal* if the Hot Deals forum had a subforum inside that was for "expired deals." Moderators could move threads there whenever they expire. Or alternatively, moderators can just rename the topic name to have "EXPIRED" in the front as a tag. Similarly to how this forum has "Suggestion" as a tag option.

And if this requires more manpower from the moderators to be able to take on this task, maybe the MP higher ups want to consider seeking out more active forum moderators.