HOT DEAL: The Lufthansa Miles and More Credit Card Has Increased It’s Sign Up Bonus to 50K!

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

This just in!

The Lufthansa Miles and More Credit Card has just increased it’s sign up bonus back up to 50,000 miles!

With this news, the Lufthansa card now becomes a legitimate card for many people to target.

Here are the specifics of the deal:

• Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase or balance transfer
    • Earn an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening
    • Cardholders receive a Companion Ticket annually
    • Enjoy 2 award miles per $1 on Miles & More integrated airline ticket purchases and 1 award mile per $1 spent everywhere else
    • No mileage expiration with monthly qualifying purchases
    • No foreign transaction fees

Last note: It is rumored to be expiring on December 15, 2013, although it could be pulled at any time.

Lufthansa Premier Miles and More credit card application link

Why I Like It

• Obviously, the important point is that you’ll be getting 50k miles as a sign up bonus, and we all know 50k sign up bonuses are nothing to sneeze at anymore.
    • It’s offered by Barclays, meaning you aren’t getting it in lieu of a card from one of the big boys, like Chase or Amex.
    • It doesn’t have any foreign transaction fees, which makes it a great card to use abroad.
    • You get a Companion Pass each year, which isn’t the easiest to use, but is a great perk if you can make use of it.
    The Downside​

• $79 annual fee is not waived….but this is a small price to pay for 50k!
    How to Use Lufthansa Miles​

Here are a few of the best uses for Lufthansa Miles:

1. Domestic First Class with United

Tickets are 17.5k in first class one-way with Lufthansa, which is a pretty great deal (bonus: Lufthansa allows one-way awards)!

The reason being is that United calls their first class “business class” on domestic flights and it will be coded that way, meaning you’re only paying the 35k it costs for business but flying in first.

Most importantly, if you’re flying on United in the domestic US with your Lufthansa miles, you won’t pay a fuel surcharge!

That means the 55k you earn from the card (50k sign up, 5k for min. spend) is enough to get you a round-trip first class domestic ticket AND another one way-ticket!

That’s not bad value for getting one card.

2. Getting First Class Access to Lufthansa Flights

Currently, you can only get in to Lufthansa first class seats with United miles by waiting 14 days prior to departure and seeing if they open up.

Lufthansa won’t allow you to use your United miles any further out than that.

However, they will allow people using their own Lufthansa miles to see and book awards at any time.

So, if you want to fly on one of the best first class cabins in the world, it makes sense to start earning some Lufthansa miles.

A one way first class ticket between Europe and the US costs 85,000, so the credit card won’t get you all the way there, but it is a nice start.

Remember, to get more Lufthansa miles, you can transfer your SPG points at a 1:1.25 ratio.

So if Lufthansa first class is your goal, I’d grab this card, then transfer over the necessary SPG points and have yourself a ball!

Final Word(s)​

No, it’s not the best card out there, but it is an intriguing option that offers some great value in some circumstances, especially domestic tickets within the US.

Personally, I’m going to be attempting to get this card during my next AoR, if I can fit it in before the deadline of December 15th.

In my mind, it never hurts to have a diverse portfolio of miles, and 50k is too good to pass up.

Lufthansa Premier Miles and More credit card application link

I will receive a commission if you are approved using my links. I’ll always post a link to the best deal, whether it pays me a commission or not. If you choose to use my links and support the site, thank you!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Continue reading...