Horrible Experience at JFK Hertz

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Efilon87, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had reserved a car a few weeks ago to drive and visit my brother in Uniondale, NY. This was the first time renting from Hertz, so I really didn't know what a baseline would be. Before making the reservation I signed up for Hertz #1 Gold. There was no one in line when I walked in, but both agents were busy with other renters. I was next in line............30 minutes later, I was still next in line and neither agent acknowledged I was there. In those 30 minutes, about 4 people were able to cut in line. Finally after 45 minutes of waiting in line, I was called up to the desk. The Hertz agent looked up my reservation, yawned, told me I got an upgraded car, called for my car on the radio, yawned again, checked his phone. 5 minutes had gone by and there wasn't a response on the radio, so I asked if he could radio again, he sighed "yah, ok, I guess I can", yawned, and printed out my reservation details. Said my car would be around in 5 minutes.

I waited and waited and waited and waited, 20 minutes later, still no car. The 3 people who were behind me in line got their cars during that 20 minutes. I went back in and asked what that status was, and was told its on its way. I even mentioned that I didn't care what car I got, I just wanted to get driving to see my brother. He reluctantly called on the radio again, and I was told they are bring it around right now.

I waited and waited and waited and waited, ANOTHER 20 minutes later, still no car. Again, I went back in, this time I was even more aggravated. Spoke to who I assumed was the manager, told him what happened, and how long I have been waiting, he looked at his watch, and told me I was just going to have to wait. He then left the building to the JFK tram.....Ummmmmmmmm, ok......Another 10 minutes and FINALLY, my car gets brought around. Tank half full and the interior very dirty. I didn't want to wait any longer so I let the exit gate know.

At no point during this whole ordeal did anyone say "sorry" or "let me take the initiative and help you". This all happened on a Friday night. Its now Monday and I have called Customer Service and Customer Relations and the only thing they can offer is 25% off my next rental of 2 days or more. Asked to speak to a supervisor, but apparently, they can only schedule a call back, as the supervisors will not pick up. The CR rep also told me they are given a script of compensation to give regardless of how bad the situation is. I have also attempted to call the location manager, but I have been waiting to hear back from him since Saturday.

What are your thoughts? Who else should I call? Thanks!!

~Efilon87

iolaire likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    National? Avis?

I prefer to travel with more than one car reservation, in part to help deal with stupidity like this. If they can't deliver, I walk. Note: I'm not saying "give up on Hertz" - I've had great experiences with them from time to time, as I'm sure you have, and I've had terrible experiences with other companies, too. I'm saying "try to help yourself have a good experience by making it trivial to walk".

estnet, viguera and MX like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, I often go to Plan B the moment I detect obviously bad attitude.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    the reason why you had to wait for any car in the first place is because it was the first time that you used hertz gold service.
    From now on, when you reserve a car from an airport with gold service, you will see a sign with your name and parking space number where you will find your car waiting for you.

gregm and Efilon87 like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you let anyone cut the line in front of you?

3 people behind you got outta there in 20 minutes and you spent around 2 hours there????

Sorry, but there is something wrong here!

Newscience and iolaire like this.
  6. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't let anyone cut me in line, the agents did that. When I said "excuse me, I've been waiting" all I got was a "ok, we will be with you shortly". Maybe they were higher elites or they had been helped before, but it didn't help the situation. It was ridiculous, they were helping two people at the same time.

Ok, maybe my times were a bit off, but looking at my cell phone call log, I got to Hertz around 9 pm, I was in my car driving away at 10:30 pm. I called my brother at 8:50 pm to let him know I was at Hertz getting my car, called again at 10 pm to let him know I was still waiting, last call was at 10:33pm to let him know I'm in my car and leaving Hertz.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Newscience and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never had an issue at Hertz JFK.. However, to be fair when you speak to the reps they seem indifferent..

8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but waiting 1.5 hours, pleb or not, is ridiculous.

Counsellor likes this.
  9. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.
    My point was that from now on, it's smooth sailing.

Efilon87 and bigx0 like this.
  10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's Gold Canopy Service, right? I'm President's Circle, and when I rented from that location last [year], they had to bring me a car after a not-so-short wait. Not really a problem, except I had to wait.

11. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Gold canopy.
    I've rented from there a few times, as well as several other airports. Never have issues with gold service. I'm 5 star gold.

gregm likes this.
  12. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just tried to rent another car from Hertz. Couldn't process online, and an error prompted me to call. The reservations agent called IT, and informed me that I was put on the Do Not Rent list because of my complaint. I will be calling the number they provided to get to the bottom of this, since I find it very odd that 1 complaint of poor service warrants a customer being put on the Do Not Rent list. Will update when I have more info.

iolaire likes this.