Horizon Air a new partner?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was looking up flights on UA.com and noticed it was listing a bunch of Horizon flights!

[​IMG]

Did I miss an announcement that United was partnering with Horizon?

Or is this another epic .bomb FAIL :D

mht_flyer likes this.
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be pretty awesome if UA code-shared with QX - it would certainly extend UA's connections at SEA and their coverage of the Pacific Northwest.

3. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take pipe dreams for 700 Alex.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS can issue tickets on US (I've gotten one). So it doesn't surprise me that UA can sell you tickets with a AS or QX segment. Looks like interlining to me.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed- UA can interlne with AS (I have bought tickets in the past without a problem)- however I don't know of any code-sharing agreements.

6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a typical interlining itinerary... Often times those prices are :eek:

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since Alaska Air Group has religiously stayed out of the alliances, and tries to code share and/or have mileage reciprocity with just about every airline serving Seattle, it's not beyond the realm of the possible. Alaska considers Southwest and Virgin America their real enemies.

Alaska is transitioning the QX flying to something else. They've announced that they are retiring the Horizon brand, that all QX flying will be under capacity purchase agreements with Alaska, and they have also contracted with Skywest to provide some CRJ-700 flying on routes like SEA-SBA, SEA-LGB, PDX-BUR, PDX-ONT. If Alaska can contract with Skywest, UA could cut deals with QX or AS. Not saying it is likely, but stranger things have happened, like Jet Blue and AA.

8. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few legs on a QX flight and then going to a UX flight would just ruin a person. Free beer and wine to... well... UX. :eek:

9. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alaska and Horizon are owned by the same company, and although they operate significantly different business models they are going to remove the branding difference. From the consumers point of view, there will only be Alaska I guess. (Although they are saying the free wine and beer will continue on QX flights!! :))

Alaska was traditionally quite tight with Northwest Airlines (now Delta), giving and recognizing elite status across the two airlines. It feels like an alliance in that you can earn elite status on the other airline, etc.

But Carl is right, Alaska has been very savvy in that they have some of the best reciprocity agreements in the business. That's been part of their success. Want to use your Alaska miles on Qantas - relatively easy AND the Alaska agents seem to know the QF routings and possibilities better than the US-based QF folks do! You'll find a lot of loyalty in the Pacific Northwest for Alaska.

10. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't there a time in the ancient era when they did code share? Of course, that was pre-AAG.

11. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Look carefully at the wording of the listing...operating AS Horizon etc........I think that means it is not a code share, rather a selection based on time/price criteria, and a connection which UA is able to sell.

Using the word AS rather than BY in this context would seem to indicate it is nothing more than that.....

12. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be careful with an online checkin with interline connections.

There's a not-too-old (within the last couple of years) thread on the other board about a transition the "other way" --- QX to UA where the online checkin on QX did not check in the pax onto the UA flight --- a separate check in was required (and the pax missed the flight because of it).

Woudn't surprise me that it's still the case today. The UA flight checkin is unlikely to cause the pax to be checked in on the QX flight segment.

13. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's also odd that it's listing Bend, OR as (RDM). I thought Bend, OR was OTH and RDM was Redmond, WA.
    Maybe it has something to do with QX dropping RDM-LAX last year?
    My friend had a similar interline itinerary with UX. She was originally scheduled to fly ACV to LAX, but AS/QX dropped that route completely. She ended up rebooked on a UX/AA flight transiting in SFO... It was a headache b/c they booked her with an illegal connection time at SFO, but she wasn't allowed to check-in for her SFO-LAX leg online and the UX staff at ACV refused to check her in for that leg too. She was saved by an AS CS agent over the phone who conference called with an AA agent to manually check her in.

p.s. its my first post!

dgreen12 likes this.
  14. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    OTH is actually in North Bend, OR, which is nowhere near Bend. However, confusing the two was so common that the airport authority changed the name to eliminate any mention of "Bend" (North or otherwise).

RDM is in Redmond, OR, which might as well be named "North Bend" as it's just a few miles north of Bend.

Redmond, WA, has no airport.

Welcome to Milepoint!

15. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, too bad they don't do this for the SFO-PDX flights that have competing UA/UX service. I have taken a bunch of AS flights because of schedule and put the miles on AA.

16. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me, the AS value proposition as a backup, second frequent flyer program is pretty compelling. Primary travel miles go on UA (since I'm in the UA forum). But if I ever need to fly on AA, DL or AS, they'd be credited to the Alaska program.