Honolulu surpasses New York City for most expensive hotel rooms in US

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Sep 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Honolulu surpasses New York City for most expensive hotel rooms in US ||

[​IMG]

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the weeknight/weekend differential in NYC is enough to tilt the scale (temporarily) in Honolulu's "favor" (if one can call it that). I'd expect HNL to have more constant rates each day of the week.

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you priced NYC recently? While I can find rooms for under $200, I don't want to stay in them. What I have seen has generally been well over $300 and I can find good Waikiki space for $150. Do a comparison on Hotels.com and you'll see a $100+ difference in Honolulu's favor.

anileze and uggboy like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As for me, New York and Hawaii are very expensive places to find a truly "good" room for a few nights. Study or not, prices at individual hotels, expedia, hotels.com and others are usually very high, especially at hotels who make "sense" to stay at. Glad that points can buffer the high cost a bit.

anileze and 8MiHi like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYC has massive hotel room inventory but also is in high demand. Honolulu's inventory is smaller, so taking many of the nicest locations in Waikiki and turning them into timeshares affects a high percentage of the beachfront hotel room availability, which can make for volatile prices. So when the demand for truly nice rooms goes up, I can see some very high rates on the beach and much lower rates a block or two inland.

anileze and uggboy like this.