Honolulu Admirals Club

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Jun 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone experienced the "shared club" with JAL at HNL? I just received the below email this morning:

Aloha Mr. garyst16,

We would like to inform you that the club is now a shared lounge with Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge. We are located in the central concourse main lobby above the Kona Brewing Company restaurant. Take the elevator or stairs near the restaurant from the second level to the third floor. We are open from 0530am-800pm daily.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Honolulu Admirals Club

American Airlines| Premium Services| 300 Rodgers Blvd. #36 | Honolulu, HI 96819 | hnl.admiralsclub@aa.com

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I got the same message when I was departing HNL last month. I posted about it in the AA Chat Lounge thread and then posted some pictures and thoughts later. If you want to read, here you go: LINK.

Wandering Aramean also posted his thoughts here. He named it his new favorite lounge in Hawaii: LINK.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is my new favorite there, but that doesn't mean it is spectacular. Mid-range self-pour booze and the soup was a nice touch. I didn't really like the music playing overhead but I got over it.

Without lounge access I'd have no problem sitting in the garden between the terminals if I had some time to kill, but the Sakura lounge isn't so bad at all.

garyst16 likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There really isn't much to be said for HNL lounges in general. The old AC wasn't spectacular either, so the JL shared space is essentially more of the same. Being half Japanese I enjoy the availability of some Japanese products, but other than that it's pretty standard stuff. The selling point of the old AC was the staff, and the personalized service the shared lounge staff provides seems to be keeping that alive.

garyst16 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have used it once. As for the club itself my comments same in general as those above - unspectacular but hardly an insult. Didn't see anybody mention the restrooms so will add that those are outside the club, and very basic. For language reasons if nothing else, I ended up dealing with the AA angels rather than the JL staff, and they were the usual AAngel high quality. One of them I recognized from the old shared QF club that was so out of the way, and I was glad to see her still employed.

My biggest problem was finding the place. The directions in your e-mail are proper, but you still need to keep your eyes open as the signage is somewhat minimal (or was when I visited). I don't recall getting an email -- thus I asked a roving HNL security assistant, whose primary language was not English. She told me it would be easy to find if I just went upstairs from Kona Blue. But I looked everywhere for that, and felt momentarily lost until, duh, I figured out that "Blue" meant "Brew." (And no, I wouldn't have done any better in pronouncing that worker's language than she did mine!)

garyst16 likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you use the same restroom as me? The one I used had a Japanese style toilet with heated seats, bidet, water sprayer, etc. Basic in Japan, but hardly basic by American standards. :D

wrxmom and garyst16 like this.
  7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw your post and pics to that effect after I went to that link you referred to in today's thread, and after I had posted that reply. After I saw your pics there, I had a feeling you might react.

To put this as elegantly as possible, my quick visit was "stand up only," and I therefore did not notice the seats and bidets. Had I had to use that area, or I had known I would be posting about restrooms on milepoint, I guess I would have seen the stalls, but I didn't. :)

Instead, my comment on "basic" had to do with the area that I did visit being relatively small, having none of the marble or ersatz marble sinks and countertops in some other ACs, the air temperature being a little warm and stuffy for my tastes, and some problem I don't fully remember with water pressure at the wash basins. If I recall there was even some sort of a word-processor produced sign on one of the sinks saying something about water pressure. Overall the restroom didn't impress me that much, but it didn't gross me out with filth, either. I did what I needed to do, concluded it was a basic facility not even within the actual club, and then went back into the lounge before flying home that night!

garyst16 likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was taking the red eye from HNL-LAX and had just spent the day roasting on the beach. Since there are no showers in the HNL lounge now I figured I would at least freshen up and change clothes. I jumped into the handicap stall and low and behold the Japanese toilet. :)

garyst16 likes this.
  9. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the posts, fellow MPers! I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The instructions I got from the Priority Pass folks said to look above the Kona Brewing pub and I had no issues finding it from there.

11. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick note to say all of the comments posted in response to my question about the shared AC at HNL were spot on! Not much of a club, but, better than sitting in the terminal. And of course the AAngel was spectacular.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends where you live. :) They've been selling Intelliseat bidet seats in Costco for about 2 1/2 years. Not even close to the Toto but it works and it's 1/4 the price.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Japanese toilet snob. ;)

14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used the JAL lounge last month flying AA. It really is the JAL lounge and AA just sets up in it. All the amenities are JAL.

But you can use the lounge with an AC club card - even if not traveling AA. Nothing AA about the lounge.
    The restrooms are outside the lounge down the hall - but since they are on the 2nd floor - not visible to others.

garyst16 likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well there are limited hints of AA in the lounge. The china is AA branded. :)

16. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear ya - got my Toto in my "throne room" and the Intelliseat in the office :)

DestinationDavid likes this.