Hong Kong SIM Cards

Discussion in 'Asia' started by taiwaned, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    How much is it? Where do I buy one? How long before expiring?

savydog and RichardInSF like this.
  2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been getting mine at the airport. After customs, there's a smallish electronics store that you can find, they have multiple different ones. The convenience stores also have them but usually only one brand. They won't sell you the cheapest unless you keep pushing them, if you need voice and SMS only, that is cheaper -- last time I found People's (which is owned by China Mobile) was the best. It's good if you go into Shenzhen too.

You can get a SIM with full credit for as little as HK$60 or so. Local and many international calls are only HK0.25 a minute. Don't know how long it is valid for as I've never been there long enough or often enough to find out.

Hong Kong is really cheap for prepaid SIMs/mobiles and no premium is charged to buy at the airport.

taiwaned and savydog like this.
  3. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because I'm (blindly) loyal to Vodafone/SoftBank, I usually take a trip to a vodafone store and pick up a SIM from them because I'm never sure which one is best. I tell them how much data/phonetime I need and they tell me.

BUT you can also pick up SIMS from convenience stores or newsagent stalls on the road. I recently bought a 3 SIM this way and was happy enough with it.

taiwaned and savydog like this.
  4. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI, all SIM cards expire after 6 months so if you want to keep your number then you need to purchase 50 HKD top up cards and remember to top it up before your sim card expires. Easier than buying a new SIM everytime you go to HK.