Hong Kong - Local Sim for Next G phone

Discussion in 'Asia' started by savydog, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I have access to all you experts it seems time to clear this up. Last time I was in HK for 2 days on my way back to Australia. I handed over my phone and asked for a sim card that worked with it. The assistant gave me the sim package and I paid around AUD $20. After installing the card it didn't work and I was told no refunds as the package was opened.

This was in a major shopping centre with a major telco, not at the markets. After that experience I just arranged for messages to be left for me at my hotel room or checked my email. What sim is suitable for a Next G (3G) phone ?

Chimpy likes this.
  2. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I understand, Telstra "locks" their "Next G" or 3G phones...meaning that you can only use a Telstra SIM with your phone.
    Information is spotty, but it seems like Telstra will unlock your phone when you go to a store.
    Just for kicks, T-Mobile USA unlocks your phone after 9 months on a contract(In my experience, my dad bought a subsidized phone and immediately unlocked it but we've been with T-Mobile for almost a decade now) and AT&T Mobility unlocks phones 90 days into a contract or if its a exclusive (like the Moto Atrix), will not unlock it until 10 months after the introduction of the phone.
    I have never dealt with this as I've always bought the phone at full price(T-Mobile will unlock a phone purchased at full price on the spot) or bought unlocked models(like my Nokia N900).

savydog likes this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may have been my problem. I now also have a cheap dual chip GSM phone that I used in China. Not much use except for making calls. That may be a better option to try out. My Telstra one is a Palm Treo which is very user friendly :)

4. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    the simpliest way of getting sim is to go to 7-eleven and ask for a 3G simcard (2G if that's waht you want). then phone away.
    alternatively you can go to one of the telecom shops (Smartone, 3, 1010, CSL etc). you usually find one of them at the respective malls their mother company belong to.

savydog likes this.